Algae problem on substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank has been running for about 5 months now and the water parameters are good with NO2=0, NO3=0, PO4=0.01, CA=400, KH=11. But I still get a minor algae problem on my argonite substrate.

If you look at the photo, it is not a major problem, but rather very unsightly. I have replaced some new argonite over the top, but the algae will just grow on it within a couple of weeks.

My question is, is anyone out there having similar problem or just me? And is there something I can do to eliminate this?

look into snails or hermits. margarita snails, mex turbos, blue leg hermits. are some examples. Add a few and see what happens, if they are working on it but it is growing too fast get a few more.

I have a dozen of red hermits and a dozen of astraea and 3 turbos. They don't seem to help at all. I think the problem is because the algae is very short, it is like a fine coat over the substrate. It never grows any longer than what is shown in the photo.

My Mexican Turbo Grazers take care of the top of my sand layer, but with the argonite I'm willing to bet you'll have more problems becuase they can't get to all of it.

Back
Top Bottom