Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2004, 07:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Algae problem on substrate

My tank has been running for about 5 months now and the water parameters are good with NO2=0, NO3=0, PO4=0.01, CA=400, KH=11. But I still get a minor algae problem on my argonite substrate.

If you look at the photo, it is not a major problem, but rather very unsightly. I have replaced some new argonite over the top, but the algae will just grow on it within a couple of weeks.

My question is, is anyone out there having similar problem or just me? And is there something I can do to eliminate this?

Old 05-31-2004, 07:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

look into snails or hermits. margarita snails, mex turbos, blue leg hermits. are some examples. Add a few and see what happens, if they are working on it but it is growing too fast get a few more.

Old 05-31-2004, 08:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a dozen of red hermits and a dozen of astraea and 3 turbos. They don't seem to help at all. I think the problem is because the algae is very short, it is like a fine coat over the substrate. It never grows any longer than what is shown in the photo.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My Mexican Turbo Grazers take care of the top of my sand layer, but with the argonite I'm willing to bet you'll have more problems becuase they can't get to all of it.

Tags
algae, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com