Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ill check as soon as I grt home from work.

To take it one step further.....what is causes Dino's and how do you treat it? Same way as in shorter light cycle?

Old 04-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dynos actually prefer prestine water and lower ph. Basically stop water changes and raise your ph to 8.3-8.5. They will be gone in no time if that's what they are. Do a little research in nuisance algaes. That may help better identify what you have

Old 04-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Light makes no difference. Dumps will actually grow if not faster in the dark. They did in my tank. I had them for 3 months. Cutting light and water changes.. Until I found out what it was. No wc and kalk got rid if my problem in less than 2 weeks
Old 04-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dynos.. Not dumps.. Haha
Old 04-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

The more i think about what they look like.....the more i think you're right.
.now im trying to look up how to get rid of them.

You mention no water changes, but i was neglecting my tank during my divorce and I'm finally now just starting to get nitrates down! They're still hovering around 20ppm and I was going to do another 15gallons tonight. I'm guessing they we're above 40 (or prob even more) when i decided to get back on the horse 1.5 weeks ago. I don't want to let it creep back up.

I looked up some pics and i do NOT want my tank to look like that!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have to stop the progression now. What about replacing with fresh carbon (chemi pure elite)?
Old 04-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If I remember correct. Turn your skimmer off. Oxygen helps them grow. And I took my carbon out. Do you have any anemones in your tank? What I did was cut wc. Shut skimmer off. Dosed kalk. ( mrs wages pickling lime from Walmart) and light daily dosing of hydrogen peroxide. But can't dose h202 if you have anemones
Old 04-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have no nems.

1- regal tang
1- fox face
1- Clown fish
1- cardinal
1- pajama cardinal

and coral of course.

Will the kalk hurt the fish or coral? How much is a dose? Daily?

Same questions for the Hydrogen peroxide?

All this makes me nervous! LOL! I've never put anything like this in my tank before but i'll do what's necessary to knock this thing out.

Thanks for all your help...rly appreciated
Old 04-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Kalk is dosed by many people. I mix 2 tablespoons of mrs wages pickling lime in a gallon container of ro water and drip 1 drop per second. Kalk helps maintain ph alk and calc. Works very nice! And h202 is only a few ml per gallon per day. I would make sure to do your research first to get a better hand on everything. I'll look to see if I can find some threads for you to read
Old 04-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

That look like dinoflagellates, I'm fighting them since more than 1 month.

I'm trying to starve them with vodka dosing. A good temporary solution I found is to blast them with a turkey baster. They are easy to remove. I would say give a good shot of turkey baster everywhere (except on sensitive coral), them do immediately a water change.

I heard when the nutrient source is gone to do a blackout, or to dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxyde per gallon per days, but I won't do this until I'm sure it's reef safe.

I heard too raising PH to 8.5, 8.6 with kalk can help, but I think it's dangerous to play like that with the parameters...
Old 04-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

1 ml per 10 gallons. And don't blast them. Just spread them more I feel. Suck them out . Run the water thru a towel filtering the water. Then put water back in.. I would try kalk. Carbon and light dosing of h202. Along with turning skimmer off. I beat them in 2 weeks with this method. Dynos will start to thin out.

Tags
algae, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com