Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry guys. I was drunk all weekend.. And had no service where I was.. Mrs wages with 2-3 tablespoons in one gallon of ro. After it settles in ten minutes.. dripping the gallon should raise ph to 8,3 8.4.. Baking soda will raise you alk. And ph.. But ph will drop back down shortly.. If your alk is at 7-8. Try a tbl spoon of baking soda in 3-4 cups of water slowly added to sump.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php here is a good read. Check it out

Old 04-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK View Post
Sorry guys. I was drunk all weekend.. And had no service where I was.. Mrs wages with 2-3 tablespoons in one gallon of ro. After it settles in ten minutes.. dripping the gallon should raise ph to 8,3 8.4.. Baking soda will raise you alk. And ph.. But ph will drop back down shortly.. If your alk is at 7-8. Try a tbl spoon of baking soda in 3-4 cups of water slowly added to sump.
I don't have sump, but I have some "Seachem Marine Buffer" and can do a drip system with airline tubing. I don't want to raise KH, as I already like my KH. What is the optimal KH value ? Mine is average 8.4dKHį.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic

8 to 10. I keep mine at 10. And ph at 8.3. I'm not sure exactly how or how much. But ph and alk work with each other. If you mess with one. You will have to adjust the other. Along with calc and mag.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If your ph is staying at one level. Try a slightly stronger dose of pickling lime. And while your raising your ph. Don't forget to suck out as much as you can. Filtered thru a towel
Old 04-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

My dinos problem seems to be REALLY less, since I dose 1L limewater/day. I started there's 3 days. My third bottle is now dripping on my 20g, that seems to do a GREAT difference.

I also dose my 1ml of vodka straight AFTER the light turn off (I heard dinos can get an advantage of eating vodka during day). My skimmer make a great gunk foam, and I'm now doing wet skimming. It seems to work... I also changed my GAC, and replaced the filter pad with filter polywool. This seems to work well...

My PH after dosing 1L of limewater is a 8.4, but will come down at 7.9 next morning... That seems to work...

Limewater don't seems to alter my Mg, Ca and Alk. Maybe it raise a bit Ca and Alk, but I don't see difference when testing. And I'm still dosing myself with the vodka.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Keep it up! And save some for the fish!! Lol I've never dosed vodka in an aquarium .. That seems like a party foul to me.. Haha
Old 04-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

With a great skimmer, following a good dosing chart, it will remove PO4 ans NO3 from the water column...

I have a 50g-90g HOB skimmer for my 20g reef...

Some dose sugar, vinegar, Vitamin C, etc... Me it's vodka, as it seems to be the purest source of carbon for reefs.

(according to http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/)
Old 04-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I battled dynos. I turned my skimmer off. If I turned it back on.. They went nuts and grew like crazy.. I think they thrive off oxygen
Old 04-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK View Post
When I battled dynos. I turned my skimmer off. If I turned it back on.. They went nuts and grew like crazy.. I think they thrive off oxygen
you sure ? I more think they like CO2 or Carbon source during the day, so they can photosynhetise like plants or algae...

Tags
algae, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com