Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Before I raised my ph. I shut my skimmer off for a few days and they seemed to slow down.. I turn it back on and the next morning they were growing longer. So I kept it off.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK View Post
Before I raised my ph. I shut my skimmer off for a few days and they seemed to slow down.. I turn it back on and the next morning they were growing longer. So I kept it off.
Kk, but I won't turn the skimmer Off, as I'm trying to starve them with night vodka dosing... So I need the skimmer to wet skim the most as possible...

Old 04-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1813733 take a look at this.. It seems like vodka is not a good thing for dynos.. I just found that on a quick search
Old 04-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Vodka dosing vs. Dinoflagellates - Reef Central Online Community take a look at this.. It seems like vodka is not a good thing for dynos.. I just found that on a quick search
I know vodka will feed dinos, that's why I dose vodka straight when the lights turn off...
Old 04-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So your wanting to keep your dynos? I'm confused now. Haha dynos that I had still grew at night.. No lights at night and my dynos still grew
Old 04-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

****, they still grow without lights ? I didn't know that

In my case they seems to grow on the sand and rocks only when the lights are on the peek power... The sand usually become brown/orange during day... But doesn't come brown during night...

Anyways, daily kalk dosing seems to make my sand much cleaner than usually... I'll just keep this like this, and wait to see what happen. I keep an eye on fishs, and params.

Now, the PH is at 8.5

My final option would be to stop vodka dosing, turn skimmer off, dose 1-2L of limewater, during a 3 days blackout... I hate this when I can't see my tank

In my case, that's only a small dino problem... There's few spots on rocks and sand... I would show you a picture of the setup, and you won't see any dinos....
Old 04-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine did.. I see on the net that people shut off there lights.. But I tried that.. 3 day lights out and yes mine started to go away.. But the second I turned them back on. They grew just as fast.. The thread I found worked.. Raise ph to 8.5. Suck them out. Stop water changes. And I added slight h202 dosing and shut skimmer off.. Fought them for 6 months.. Did this method for 2 weeks and it was all gone
Old 04-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Mine did.. I see on the net that people shut off there lights.. But I tried that.. 3 day lights out and yes mine started to go away.. But the second I turned them back on. They grew just as fast.. The thread I found worked.. Raise ph to 8.5. Suck them out. Stop water changes. And I added slight h202 dosing and shut skimmer off.. Fought them for 6 months.. Did this method for 2 weeks and it was all gone
How much H2O2 ? Can it be combined with kalk ? I have 20 volume H2O2 (6%)

I'll stop dosing vodka today.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Add it separate .. I think 3% is one ml per 10 gallons .. Let me check quick
Old 04-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

So half your dosage of double force peroxide would do the same ? Can it hurt fishs/inverts/corals ?

Tags
algae, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com