Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cool cool. Keep updating!

Old 05-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hard to tell which of the things you changed that made the favorable effect since you did them all at same time. The process of elimination is one at a time. In my experience, I have observed that some algae prefers higher intensity white light plus nutrients but they start to receed when more blue is on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Hard to tell which of the things you changed that made the favorable effect since you did them all at same time. The process of elimination is one at a time. In my experience, I have observed that some algae prefers higher intensity white light plus nutrients but they start to receed when more blue is on.
I really wanted to get rid of them. Unfortunately, some tiny bubbles start to reappear on my LR... I suspect the dinos will come back in few days or weeks... I plan on doing a water change and do the same thing I just did again for prevention. I hate to play with paramters, but I think I don't have the choice...
Old 05-09-2014, 02:10 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update:

I'm happy to say that it's been about 2 weeks since I upped the ph and went 50+hrs blackout to try and kill the Dino's and they haven't been back!! Can't thank everyone enough for all the suggestions and input on the matter.

I also changed the spectrum on my radions to remove all red and green light In addition to reducing the light cycle to only 5.5hrs.

My rocks haven't looked this clean in......well I can't even remember! Things look great also with the exception of the xenias. For some reason.....they seem to be shriveling and dying. Everything else is doing I better and fully extended except them. No idea why.

Thanks again all.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

My dinos are back
Old 06-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Stop water changes and maintain that ph to 8.4 8.5.... Suck out the dynos thru a towel.. And put that water right back in.. Shut off skimmer and leave your lights on there normal cycle
Old 06-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update. Last week I did total blackout with towels for 5 days.

When I plugged LEDS on, I only ran blue. I dosed peroxyde everyday, raised PH everyday with kalk to 8.4.

Some little bubbles are growing back on the rocks, it's sign my dinos are back
I really don't know what to do

Why do you suggest shutting off the skimmer after the blackout ?
Old 06-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No need to blackout. And just shut skimmer off completely. No water changes. Keep ph at 8.4-8.5. And filter out the dynos putting the water back in.. Tape or wrap a towel over the bucket . Suck it out and put the water back in. That's how I did it and the dynos never returned
Old 06-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll try it.

Should I stop the mechanical and chemical filtration ? I'm running a HOB Fluval C3 with filter pad and a carbon bag.

Why shutting off the skimmer will help ? Can I switch on my white leds?
Old 06-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes turn on your lights. And the dynos like oxygen. When I shut my skimmer off they slowed down there growth greatly. I kept the filter running. But did not dose anything or run carbon..

Tags
algae, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com