Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2014, 02:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Algae problem....pls help!

Ok so it's been about a month since I upgraded my lighting. Went from 2-250 mh bulbs with 2-54w actinic t5's to 2 ecotech radions.

I THOUGHT that since my bulbs were getting old and needed to be replaced anyway that the radions wud b a welcome upgrade to my tank. Well the coral love it but now I'm starting to get red algae on the glass, rocks and substrate as well as green slimy algae (looks like green snot) on the rocks. I've never had that before.

Any ideas why? The radions are on longer then the mh bulbs were, but it's a gradual power up as I'm sure most of u know. Lights start up at 9am and kills at 11pm. It's full spectrum lighting but the halides were running 14k...cud that have anything to do with it? Does algae like certain light spectrum better? I ask bc ill customize the spectrum on the radions.

Could really use some help as the issue is only getting worse!

Lastly....I pretty sure it's the lighting bc when I had the halides, I was neglecting my tank due to divorce and had pretty high trates but no algae. Now I got the trates down to below 20 and now I have Algae! Btw...been changing 10g every other day Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398403568.106955.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	234737Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398403583.907291.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	234738for the last week and it doesn't seem to be helping at all.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 04-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your light is on for too long and yes the algae prefers the full spectrum light. Shorten light to 6 hours and use more blue. If it persists shorten light some more and lower light intensity. Once algae is under control you can adjust the settings back to normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks much for the reply!!

...can you suggest how long I should have my light cycle? Keep in mind that my
Lights are running in acclimation cycle (75% of my intended 50% power) to ease them in from the halides I had.

Ill change the spectrum to 14K and take the red's and greens out off the picture.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't run the light cycle any more than 12 hours total at the very most. Your corals can get away with quite a lot less. I know of tanks that run on a regular basis with only six hours of light per day.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

That makes sense. Also these radions are pretty potent as far as PAR goes so u make perfect sense. I shud have thought of that!

Ill knock it down to 8hrs then. One thing...Does that include the 1hr before and after of actinic's? Or 8hrs white light with the 1 hr before and after for a total of 10hrs?

I'm thinking 6hrs daylight and 2 hrs actinics like u suggest. At least for now until the algae goes away. Ill stir things up and do a big water change tonight as well. I hope it doesn't take too long to diminish.

I was pretty sure it's not flow bc I have an mp40 and 2 mp10 (1 of those are row a dead spot set to fairly low).
Old 04-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Now I want to get the hell out of work to change the spectrum and schedule now!!! Lol.

This is where a reef link would be great.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyboy View Post
Ill knock it down to 8hrs then. One thing...Does that include the 1hr before and after of actinic's?
Yes, the ramp up and ramp down part of the cycle should be considered as part of the daytime portion of the entire photoperiod.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can you get a closer pic of algae? That kind of looks like dynoflagelletes .
Old 04-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not rly...that's me right up against the glass.

I don't thinks its Dino tho.....from my understanding, Dino has a different consistency. I've heard it more powdery if u will as in it can be easily blow away. This isn't.

Why u say that? I'm interested to hear ur thoughts..
Old 04-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is it long stringy with bubbles? Dynos will pretty much evaporate. When you touch it. I've had a severe case of it. And I can't really tell in your pics . But it looks like its pretty long

Tags
algae, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com