Algae problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmulgrew97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have recently devloped some major algae problems around my tank on live sand, live rock, etc and would really like it removed. Any suggestions on inverts/ fish that would take care of that?

How many snails you have? Algae blenny, astrea snails, turbo snails, banded trochus snails, conch will all eat algae. Depends on what type algae you have.

what kind of algae, differnt things eat different kinds.

Basic answers - Turbo Snails, hermit crabs, Tangs, Foxface fish, Lawmower blenny, nudiebrances...

All the above eat kinds of algae.

It is a dark red/Brown colored algae, as you might be able to see on the live rock in the right of the picture, what kind of inverts/snails would consume or take care of that?

Attachments

• image-4022524958.jpg
    image-4022524958.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 82
It is a dark red/Brown colored algae, as you might be able to see on the live rock in the right of the picture, what kind of inverts/snails would consume or take care of that?

It looks like a diatom. Is the tank new? It will eventually go away if its new, but turbo snails will take care of it.

Yes, its appx 4-5 weeks old to this date, so assuming its diatoms I should have nothing to worry about? Does it harm my fish in any way? Thank you for helping by the way guys :)

No you have nothing to worry about with diatoms.It wont harm your fish. Do you have turbo snails? they love to eat it id get a few depending on tank size i have 3 in my 30, along with 3 margaritas.

My advice would be to find the root cause. Sound like someone has hit the nail on the head though. Here is a good link when you have other algae issues, Nuisance Algae ID Guide get to your root cause with algae issues. There are no quick fixes

Oh its just new tank diatoms, they'll go away. I used to blast them with a turkey baster and let my skimmer suck them up. They die off after a month or so, they are feeding on the silicates in your new tank. Totally natural part of the ocean and every tank gets a new tank diatom bloom. Remove what you can manually if they are stressing you out cause they make your tank look ugly...

Thank you :) I'm glad it's nothing of concern, just put in 3 coralline snails that should hopefully help mitigate the damage, am I right in doing so?

Back
Top Bottom