Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Algae question

I was wondering why I continue to get coralline algae and my chaeto doesnt grow. I have my chaeto in my tank where the coralline grows. My phosphates are zero and my nitrates are around 10-20. I do weekly 5 gal water changes to my 16 gal aquarium.
Another side question is how do I stop the coralline from growing?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

First, if you're doing 30% weekly water changes and keeping your phosphates close to 0, then the chaeto doesn't have much to eat. If it's not dead, it's still working, but it's more acting like a water polisher to remove that last little bit of phos, so it's no really going to grow all that much.
Second, why do you want to stop coralline growth?? I can understand keeping it off of surfaces you don't want it on, but it's considered a sign of a very healthy tank, and most reefers strive to grow it.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Since both coralline and chaeto are algaes, I assumed that if one grows, the other should grow in my tank as well. The cheato is dark green and firm (not mushy) so it's not dying. I don't want coralline bc my aquarium has a white background and also because Im getting tired of scrapping it off the glass. So how do I prevent coralline from spreading?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirp
So how do I prevent coralline from spreading?
There is no way. In fact scrapping it off in the tank only spreads it more. Coralline algae relies on calcium and other trace minerals to grow. If you had a fish only tank a salt low in these minerals and a low wattage light will have a tough time growing coralline, however this is not an option in a reef tank.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

All the lfs that have frag tanks have no coralline in them. How do they achieve that?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
All the lfs that have frag tanks have no coralline in them. How do they achieve that?
Ask them. It could be a number of reasons.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirp View Post
Coralline does not "develop" in a tank like other algaes, it has to be transferred. My best guess on this would be that, since coralline does not grow on live coral, if the cut frags are placed on fresh, clean plugs that have no coralline on them either.... there is no transfer.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I was wondering why I continue to get coralline algae and my chaeto doesnt grow. I have my chaeto in my tank where the coralline grows. My phosphates are zero and my nitrates are around 10-20. I do weekly 5 gal water changes to my 16 gal aquarium.
Another side question is how do I stop the coralline from growing?
For chaeto to thrive water needs to be running thru it this is why it does best in a sump also chaeto doesn compete with coraline coraline uses calcium and such chaeto uses nitrates and phosphates
Old 08-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the info everyone
Old 08-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Just remembered. Uv sterilizer which many LFS's use will cut back coralline growth. Just FYI .

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com