Algae question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chirp

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering why I continue to get coralline algae and my chaeto doesnt grow. I have my chaeto in my tank where the coralline grows. My phosphates are zero and my nitrates are around 10-20. I do weekly 5 gal water changes to my 16 gal aquarium.
Another side question is how do I stop the coralline from growing?

First, if you're doing 30% weekly water changes and keeping your phosphates close to 0, then the chaeto doesn't have much to eat. If it's not dead, it's still working, but it's more acting like a water polisher to remove that last little bit of phos, so it's no really going to grow all that much.
Second, why do you want to stop coralline growth?? I can understand keeping it off of surfaces you don't want it on, but it's considered a sign of a very healthy tank, and most reefers strive to grow it.

Since both coralline and chaeto are algaes, I assumed that if one grows, the other should grow in my tank as well. The cheato is dark green and firm (not mushy) so it's not dying. I don't want coralline bc my aquarium has a white background and also because Im getting tired of scrapping it off the glass. So how do I prevent coralline from spreading?

Chirp said:
So how do I prevent coralline from spreading?

There is no way. In fact scrapping it off in the tank only spreads it more. Coralline algae relies on calcium and other trace minerals to grow. If you had a fish only tank a salt low in these minerals and a low wattage light will have a tough time growing coralline, however this is not an option in a reef tank.

All the lfs that have frag tanks have no coralline in them. How do they achieve that?

All the lfs that have frag tanks have no coralline in them. How do they achieve that?

Coralline does not "develop" in a tank like other algaes, it has to be transferred. My best guess on this would be that, since coralline does not grow on live coral, if the cut frags are placed on fresh, clean plugs that have no coralline on them either.... there is no transfer.

Chirp said:
I was wondering why I continue to get coralline algae and my chaeto doesnt grow. I have my chaeto in my tank where the coralline grows. My phosphates are zero and my nitrates are around 10-20. I do weekly 5 gal water changes to my 16 gal aquarium.
Another side question is how do I stop the coralline from growing?

For chaeto to thrive water needs to be running thru it this is why it does best in a sump also chaeto doesn compete with coraline coraline uses calcium and such chaeto uses nitrates and phosphates

Chirp said:

Just remembered. Uv sterilizer which many LFS's use will cut back coralline growth. Just FYI .

So the uv sterilizer will reduce the coralline algae? I have chaeto growing as well. Will the sterilizer affect the chaeto? What are the drawbacks of using one?

I didn't have any Coraline growth in either of my tanks until I discontinued UV use. I saw no real benefit to it. I hooked it back up when I had algae and Cyano issues arise to yet tip help things along, but didn't notice any benefit.

Chirp said:
So the uv sterilizer will reduce the coralline algae? I have chaeto growing as well. Will the sterilizer affect the chaeto? What are the drawbacks of using one?

Drawbacks are it will kill everything that passes through it. So anything living that is free floating jn the water column. That includes any free floating algae, including coralline. However not everything will pass through the unit so its effectiveness is not complete.

Really not something i would run all the time. Also, it really has to be added before coralline starts to spread to really have an effect on it.

bavass said:
Steralizer can kill the benefical bacteria. I don't think it will help with coraline

Since most of the bb live in the lr, would the sterilizer kill them if I put in a refugium?

Chirp said:
Since most of the bb live in the lr, would the sterilizer kill them if I put in a refugium?

A sterilizer will only kill free floating bacteria. Since nitrifying bacteria live almost entirely on the rock surface and sand bed this is not a problem. Very few will be found in the water column, usually only if attached to something like detritus for example.

Schism said:
A sterilizer will only kill free floating bacteria. Since nitrifying bacteria live almost entirely on the rock surface and sand bed this is not a problem. Very few will be found in the water column, usually only if attached to something like detritus for example.

Imo i think uv sterilizer is a great help for longterm reefing any freefloating bacteria or algae that goes thru it cant multiply which over a course of years can start to buildup also if you run it slow enough it can kill parasites

Back
Top Bottom