Algae question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefChum518

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a build up of algae on my sand bed that I can't seem to get rid of, brown to purple in color, perimeters are all good/with in reason( 36 gal fish and rock, few hermits, one nerite one cereith, 4 chromis. Any ideas what causing this? Tank is a little over 2 months old

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410304939.763468.jpg

This is a google image, some spots are like this others are a brownish color, they are very spotty not as developed like the pic

View attachment 249599

This is a google image, some spots are like this others are a brownish color, they are very spotty not as developed like the pic

either diatoms or cyano. Cyano is caused by lack of flow and excessive nutrients. Bigred would be better at explaining how to get rid of it, hopefully he chimes in

Ok thanks a bunch, I only have on pump, it's a sicce voyager 2 (800gph) maybe I need another?

not to sure, wait for others to offer some advice as well. I have never battled cyano however if it is indeed cyano one thing to do is suck it out with a siphon. Large water changes will also help control it.

Ok thank you!

That puts you at 22x per hour. If its fish only thats ok. If you have coral you want to turn your tank over 30-50 times per hour.

Ok then I need another pump! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom