Algae Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moejoephd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, Im having a little bit of a hair algae problem, well not really a problem but i just want to keep the growth down to a minimum. I really dont know if it is even hair algae, it looks like turf grass to me, cool looking but i just wanna keep the growth down. I have a 100 gallon FOWLR with T5 lighting, 54wattsx4, 2 10k's and 2 actinics. My question is, if i turn off the 10'ks and just run the actinics for a couple of days will that keep the algae growth down?? If anything i want more coralline algae, will this help me or hurt me?

Lighting does affect algae growth but excess nutrients are the primary cause. Check for phosphates in the water. If you do have phosphates try to locate the source. Possibly from source water or overfeeding or food type.

thanks for the reply, on a little aside, how is your seaclone working??? is there any mods you have done 2 it to help it work better???

PO4 is a certain cause but if the tank isnt turning over enough you can have an algae problem as well. What kind of ph's or pumps are you using.

The seaclone is fine. It had worked so so until I moved it to the fuge/sump. Now it skimms a ton. It takes a while to start skimming but once it did it does well. I will still probably upgrade eventually, but definately not rushing to.

My seaclone is really good now that I did 2 really good mod (1. Quality metal valve, 2. Cutting the central tube to 4" of the bottom).

I closed all my lights for 4 days, and it had killed alot of my algea! I think my problem was the PC that where too old since there was no significative nutrient in the tank.

I think my tank gets plenty of turnover, Close to 20x and hour, well i hope thats enough, I guess i should check my ro water and see whats going on with all that. BTW "canada911" where did you get a quality metal valve from???

Back
Top Bottom