Algae respawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markh30

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had my 100g reef looking like a show piece, until I had it professionally moved to my new home. The so-called pros that moved it decided to mix salt directly with well water in lieu of having to cart the original water :x . I was at work when all of this happened. To make a long story short, hair algae literally took over my tank. After a period of time and fighting a loosing battle, I decided to break the aquarium down and let the live rock dry out completely, thereby allowing me to use it as base rock. The rock has been sitting outside the aquarium for 2 months now and is completely dry. I want to place it back in the aquarium and reseed it using new live rock. Does anyone know if the algae can respawn after being air dried for so long?

Im sure the algea is long dead along with everything else. You'll need to completely re cure the rock.

Yes PC is right. I would just cure it and cycle your tank at the same time. It will probably take a bit longer since there is 0 beneficial bacteria on it. You`ll be OK.

Back
Top Bottom