Algae scrubber help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimbo C

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am going to experiment with a scrubber but to get the flow to it I am going to use my drain from display. Do you guys have any opinions on this? I have a mag drive 18 with 7 feet of head.

That is how both mine are powered . If you have any specific questions let me know .

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What type of light are you using & did you have to seed the plastic screen before first use?

Just some clamp lamps and 2700 k swirly compact fluorescent. No seeding but it does take about a month for the scrubber to establish itself .

Opinion on feeding it from phosban reactor?

I wouldn't try it for two reasons .1 I doubt you will get the flow you need after the reactor. 2. You want to send the full nutrient rich water to the scrubber . If you remove nutrients before it might not have enough left to grow properly thereby making it less effective .

Sounds like sound advice, I'll try my drain but I'm worried that I'll no longer have a sock on my setup.

How many drains do you have ? If you only have one just T it off. This way if the slot ever gets clogged it will still drain . It also will allow you to install a ball valve before the slot so you can adjust the flow. Also don't forget to install a plumbing union before the slot pipe so you can remove it easily for cleaning . If it makes you feel better both of my systems don't use filter socks .

I have one drain y'd into refugium and skimmer section. I was going to use the drain that spills into the refuge.

Sounds like a plan to me . Just make sure you can get the lights 5 inches from the screen . That is one of the harder parts of fitting one into an existing setup.

So I just got scrubber operational & looks like it has good flow. Hope to see less green in tank and more in screen?

I tried it and things went well. But over time it got to be quite messy and the water was no longer as clear. I went back to a skimmer. I did have water flow problems but my friend did not. Her tank also started looking dingy and she has returned back to a skimmer.

The lights need to be pointing directly at the screen not from above . It will not grow right like that . Also while lighting from one side will work two sides will be much more efficient . Fishdreamz it sounds like the screen wasn't maintained properly . If you slack off on the cleanings it has the potential to make the water a bit hazy. Quick fix is to just clean the screen a day earlier .

Ok, I'll probably just get a flood light for the other side. Any recommendation for bulb type?

I have only used CFL bulbs. They always worked so I really never experimented with anything else .

Can you set up a scrubber in a sump that has a separately fed pump? I'm considering setting one up in the second chamber of the sump I'm building...

Back
Top Bottom