Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2006, 03:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Algae sufferers look here!

Ok this will be purely my own personal view/experience. Not sure if everyone agrees with me.

Reasons that causes algae growth? Water source, frequency of waterchange and feeding.

I think the above 3 are the main reasons why algae grows.

-Water source are just too important. If you use the wrong water from the wrong place, then don't even need to mention frequency of waterchange and feeding. As non purified water has got just too much materials in it, it can be anything may be even human waste??? So RO/DI water is a must. But even you have one you might need check if it work properly, filters replaced etc etc... otherwise there is no point getting a unit. I have been buying bottled deionization water and only top off with them. I previously use tap water caused me cyano problems and has since gone when I started using bottled water. But I am currently looking getting one RO/DI unit myself as I have just set up a new 132g tank.

-No matter how pure your water is, over time your water will become dirty and need to be changed. If this is dragged on too long waste will build up and could encourage algae growth. So frequent water change is a must. I change the water for my 20g nano EVERY week, never missed. I am also planning to do 10% waterchage every week for my new 132g.

-Over feeding your fish also contribute to algae growth. Uneaten food will be the main source of food for algae. So only feed your fish that is enough for them to consume. I always throwing food little by little into the tank and watch my fish consume them and make sure no food able to reach the bottom before it is consumed.

So IME stick strictly with these 3 principles will almost guarantee you will have no algae problem. Anytime when you have algae problem ask yourselves these 3 questions. Hope this can help someone out there who is fighting algae problems.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Nice post. You can also throw in there the light cycle of the tank (if its on allll day, its too much) and type of food fed. Flakes foul up water quicker than frozen, but frozen can be harder to work with. Every other day is fine as. Feeding the fish everyday may be overkill. Skimming can also help get rid of some extra organic waste in the water as well, which may help fuel algae.

Great post, weekf.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for adding those yeah they are some major issues too..
Old 10-20-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m impressed Weekf. that was a pretty comprehensive report there. Along with DT I think you covered it all. I definitely like the PWC part.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks melosu but I am still a newbie here. Only have 1 year experience under my belt. But since I see so many have algae questions/problems and I was able to change the situations of my tank I thought I will just share it hope that could help someone out.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is 10% pwc a good level? I have been doing 20%, but if 10% will do me, then that is great, sav a few bucks on RO/DI SW.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

On a weekly level 10% is OK. If you are doing them farther apart I would do 20% IMO. Still weekf you`ve picked up alot in one year. And yes people can use that info.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Don't forget old/fading lights. Awesome post weekf!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks
Old 10-20-2006, 08:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I am not sure how much PWC is enough but weekly I do about 15-20% PWC. I am also not sure if this is excessive but better more than less IMO because once you have an algae outbreak it will be hard to get rid of them. It can be done getting rid of them but it's going to take some time.

Also if you do more PWC often that will help your coraline algae grows. That's for sure, all my rocks, powerheads, skimmer, glass are all covered in coraline but sometimes I found them a nuisance, I need to scrape a lot of them off the equipments and glass all the time. But logic tells me the more you scrape off the more it will spread but I can't help it I need to clean them off so that the equipment can work properly and so that I can see through the glass what is inside the tank!!! LOL!

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com