Algae sufferers look here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok this will be purely my own personal view/experience. Not sure if everyone agrees with me.

Reasons that causes algae growth? Water source, frequency of waterchange and feeding.

I think the above 3 are the main reasons why algae grows.

-Water source are just too important. If you use the wrong water from the wrong place, then don't even need to mention frequency of waterchange and feeding. As non purified water has got just too much materials in it, it can be anything may be even human waste??? So RO/DI water is a must. But even you have one you might need check if it work properly, filters replaced etc etc... otherwise there is no point getting a unit. I have been buying bottled deionization water and only top off with them. I previously use tap water caused me cyano problems and has since gone when I started using bottled water. But I am currently looking getting one RO/DI unit myself as I have just set up a new 132g tank.

-No matter how pure your water is, over time your water will become dirty and need to be changed. If this is dragged on too long waste will build up and could encourage algae growth. So frequent water change is a must. I change the water for my 20g nano EVERY week, never missed. I am also planning to do 10% waterchage every week for my new 132g.

-Over feeding your fish also contribute to algae growth. Uneaten food will be the main source of food for algae. So only feed your fish that is enough for them to consume. I always throwing food little by little into the tank and watch my fish consume them and make sure no food able to reach the bottom before it is consumed.

So IME stick strictly with these 3 principles will almost guarantee you will have no algae problem. Anytime when you have algae problem ask yourselves these 3 questions. Hope this can help someone out there who is fighting algae problems.

Nice post. You can also throw in there the light cycle of the tank (if its on allll day, its too much) and type of food fed. Flakes foul up water quicker than frozen, but frozen can be harder to work with. Every other day is fine as. Feeding the fish everyday may be overkill. Skimming can also help get rid of some extra organic waste in the water as well, which may help fuel algae.

Great post, weekf.

thanks for adding those yeah they are some major issues too..

I`m impressed Weekf. that was a pretty comprehensive report there. Along with DT I think you covered it all. I definitely like the PWC part.

Thanks melosu but I am still a newbie here. Only have 1 year experience under my belt. But since I see so many have algae questions/problems and I was able to change the situations of my tank I thought I will just share it hope that could help someone out.

Is 10% pwc a good level? I have been doing 20%, but if 10% will do me, then that is great, sav a few bucks on RO/DI SW.

On a weekly level 10% is OK. If you are doing them farther apart I would do 20% IMO. Still weekf you`ve picked up alot in one year. And yes people can use that info.

Don't forget old/fading lights. Awesome post weekf!

Well I am not sure how much PWC is enough but weekly I do about 15-20% PWC. I am also not sure if this is excessive but better more than less IMO because once you have an algae outbreak it will be hard to get rid of them. It can be done getting rid of them but it's going to take some time.

Also if you do more PWC often that will help your coraline algae grows. That's for sure, all my rocks, powerheads, skimmer, glass are all covered in coraline but sometimes I found them a nuisance, I need to scrape a lot of them off the equipments and glass all the time. But logic tells me the more you scrape off the more it will spread but I can't help it I need to clean them off so that the equipment can work properly and so that I can see through the glass what is inside the tank!!! LOL!

I agree, scraping the coraline will help it to propagate. There's not much you can really do, other than turn off everything that moves the water, then scrape and let it settle to the bottom. But, I doubt that would make a huge difference, but could help it to propagate on the LR.....

I agree on the weekly PWC's, I have been doing 20% a week, but may cut back to 10 and see how NO3's do. I have always been interested if anyone has figured out just how much of a PWC is too much. Is it 30%, 40%, 50%...? If the livestock can handle it, maybe a 50% every 6 months (including weekly PWC's) would be good, kind of like flushing out the system.

I am wondering if you are really careful on the temp, SG, and pH, if your livestock would be too adversely affected. Aren't those the main factors that you need to be concerned about when acclimting livestock, including inverts?

Sorry for hijack, but you make a great point in your first post. One thing I would add is to make sure your cleanup crew is enough for your tank size. No matter how careful you are in feeding, there is always that little amount that gets to the sand or the rocks and needs something to eat it.

Back
Top Bottom