Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2005, 01:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Algae takeover

I have anew tank that has 80 pounds of lie rock in a 75 gallon tank. I've added 3 damsels and all looks good for adding more fish . The algae has gone crazy in my tank on the glass and all over the rock. I scraped it off once but now its on the bottom of the tank from the glass. Do I need to remove it some how? How do I stop this take over. The 2 snails stay on the live rock not on the glass. How do I stop this. Its green fly away algai and red has now started growing. Its long and wavy kind of pretty.

Old 02-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
I would check phosphates as that tends to promote those types of algae... Are you overfeeding? Are you using RO water or tap? These things can all cause higher phosphates... A protein skimmer may help. Also get more snails and some red legged hermit crabs could help too....

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:34 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Look up diatoms. Could be some of that in a new tank too. Red my be cyano which could be the phosphate/tap water problem.

Definitely need more snails and hermits.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I used RO water and have a protein skimmer. Do I try to clean it out by hand? How do you keep the glass clean if the snails and hermit crabs don't do enough. Can you have too many snails?
Old 02-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had the same thing when my tank was new. Pretty normal. I use RO/DI water nad have no phosphates.

Add a few turbo snails and the glass will get cleaned very quickly. I added 12 in my 225 and also have some astrea's and nassarius and my tank stays pretty clean on its own.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com