Algae (the bad kinds)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are they really bad for the tank, or just bad for the appearance?

I ask because I use an HOB on my tank, along with a power head and a skimmer.

The outlet of the HOB is coevered in algae, every few weeks I wipe it off and throw the algae away, and it regrows of course,

But I am wondering, is this really a bad thing? at the least, I think it keeps the algae from growing IN the tank (I have no algae problems inside the actual tank)

I know that in freshwater, algae can be beneficial by removing excess nutrients from the water. Even in a planted tank it can be beneficial as long as it is not growing on the plants (plants tend to take first dibs on all teh nutrients, the algae sucks up any extras, but the plants always outcompete the algae)

Jarred Darque said:
But I am wondering, is this really a bad thing? at the least, I think it keeps the algae from growing IN the tank (I have no algae problems inside the actual tank)

That's the way I look at it. Same theory that's used in refugiums - growing macroalgae to suck up additional nitrates/phosphates.

I think the only bad algae is the algae you don't like!

I allow hair algae to grow in my reef's overflow boxes because they are such a good nutrient export. I stays confined in there and when I do water changes, I just pull out bunches of it so that it can just re grow again.

Back
Top Bottom