Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2006, 05:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I might have found the sorce. about 3 months ago my mom was feeding my fish and the algae wasent bad but still algae. I had no protine skimmer and my mom feed them alot of food. the frozen food and then gave krill for the shrimp to get. she only feed them for a week, everyday. How do I get this out. What do I do.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Just for the record...the term "perfect" as regards to water quality is not an answer. Give real numbers. When you change your lights, you will most likely, have an increase in algae problems because something is feeding the algae. My guess is phosphates. The foods your mother fed affected the water quality. Whether you wish to believe it or not.

What EXACTLY is your filtration. You mention you are taking rocks out and scrubbing them. Please describe how you are doing this.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just put some activated carbon in the filter. I have a cheap walmart filter. It does 50 gallons. My protine skimmer is a 65 gallon coralife super skimmer.

nitrate 0 / nitrite 0 / salt 1.024 / amonia 0 / ph 8.2 / calcium 348.

I take a 5 gallon pale and take 2 1/2 water of of the tank and put it in the pale. Then I take the rock out and put it in the pale and scrub the rock with a tuth brush. When I am done I dump the old water outside and put the rock back into their places and I put new RO/DI water in the tank.

By the way the Light im puting in monday is a metal halide pendent fixture 250w 14,000k. I know this wont grow algae faster.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:41 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
I know this wont grow algae faster
ok, whatever you say.

IMO, you also are lacking in filtration. not enough rock to do the job, and a filter that is not very good.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
By the way the Light im puting in monday is a metal halide pendent fixture 250w 14,000k. I know this wont grow algae faster.
What are you basing that on? As mentioned, algae is photosynthetic. It utilizes light as one of its energy sources. Increasing lighting while you still have this problem is not a great idea. It will only add to the problem. Again...as mentioned, check for PO4. Check the level in your main and the level in the source water you use for water chanes and top-offs. You may be onto something with the food. This is a very common avenue for PO4 to make its way into the tank. Evalutate how you prep frozen food and the amount/how often you feed.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do like water changes every 2 days. I am buying a phosphate tester today and I will test the RO/DI unit and fishtank. I will post results ASAP. I thought 14,000k lighting Algae wil have a hard time to grow. Any way what if I keep letting the algae grow and scraping it off will it eventually die out. Some spotes I noticed are spotless. Ill keep an I on it and Ill use the info I get from this forum to try to solve my problem.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I thought 14,000k lighting Algae wil have a hard time to grow.
While algae prefers lower spectrum light, keep in mind that you are increasing the intensity of your light. This will most certainly add to the problem.
Quote:
Any way what if I keep letting the algae grow and scraping it off will it eventually die out.
Sadly, it is not that easy. Manual removal is the first step to combating the problem. The key to long-term success is identifying and correcting the problem.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to aquazen
I'm battling hair algae right now as well. I threw out my coralife super skimmer (piece of junk, stopped skimming after 3 months, but I kept the Rio 1100 pump) and bought an Aqua C remora with the smaller Rio 800 pump yesterday. It is supposedly one of the better ones to get. I've also manually removed a bunch of the hair algae, and I've added some macro algae to suck up nutrients. I've already got a decent clean up crew in the tank (snails, hermits, starfish). I'll keep you posted on how this works out.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:09 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to reefmaster
snails

Get turbo snails! about 5 and they will pulverise the algae! Snails FTW

Tags
algae, pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com