Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Algae war with lots of ( PICS )

This has been going on for 6 months now and I am going to quit if this keeps up for another month. I tested my water and its perfect and I even broughts it to a LFS and they say it perfect. I do 5 gallon water change every 4 days.

My brother has the same tank( 30g ), rock, sand, skimmer, filter, heater, but not the same lights. He has spotless algae/ no algae. His lights are on for 12 hours. Mine are on 6 hours. I feed every ohter day. He feeds every day. Please help me out. He changes (5g) of water every 3 weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg algae_war_004_206.jpg (232.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg algae_war_003_135.jpg (227.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg algae_war_002_201.jpg (209.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg algae_war_001_127.jpg (213.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg algae_war_007_189.jpg (47.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg algae_war_006_191.jpg (36.6 KB, 15 views)

Old 08-11-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Hang in there! Does that HOB have a boiwheel?
Looks like you have a ph pointing down in the middle and another one on the left pointing to the top?
Have you tested your water source?
Have you tried moving the phs?
Can you take out a piece of LR and scrub it in old SW? Do this piece by piece and do a PWC.
I'm not sure your water is perfect, something is feeding that algae, have you tested for phosphates, both in your source water and tank?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

. The HOB does not have a bio wheel.
. I tested my water and its perfect and I even broughts it to a LFS and they say it perfect. I dont have a phosphate tester but the LFS says its perfect though.
. I only use RO/DI water
. I take the rocks out every 2 weeks and scrub the rocks down and I am getting sick of it.
. My LFS told me to start using C-Balence to start purple agae to kill off green hair algae. Hasent worked yet.
. Water soruce is perfect.

My only option is move the powerhead. I am getting my new lights in monday. It is a 250w HQI 14,000k. any thing else I should do.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Hmm, that is supposed to balance calcium and alkalinity. I wouldn't dose if I didn't have a test kit for it. There is a possibilty it can cause a big problem in your tank (but that is not what you are asking).
Ok, so you have tested your RO/DI water, reduced lighting/feeding.

I still have sneaking suspicion, there are phosphates in your tank. I know with cyano, it is sometimes hard to get a good reading because it consumes the phosphates rather quickly, I'm not sure on hair algae.

What and how much are you feeding?
Can you get a small ph and stir up the water movement?
How old are those lights?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

the algae ain't coming from nowhere. There is a nutrient source. Are you feeding any invert food? What additives are you using? What kind of food are you feeding? I know it sounds redundant but there is some kind of input into your system causing these problems. I have heard of people using sugar to fix nitrate into a skimmable form, the theory here being the bacteria you fuel with the sugar then consume the nitrate before the algae gets at it, killing the algae. I realize you aren't testing any nitrate but its there even if its not when you are testing. Just a teaspoon does it. water goes cloudy and then in a few days the bacteria bloom gets skimmed off and the water is clear. Keep up your water changes too. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep it up, nothing good ever comes quickly in aquariums.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you using anything like a nitrate sponge or carbon? Might help.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I dont have a sponge. I thought my protine skimmer takes all the stuff out of the water. I know its my lighting, I cheaped out alot on lights. I paid $80 for them and each bulb is 10,000k 50/50 20w. So when my new lights come in monday with 250w HQI 14,000k this should solve my problem I think.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do as advised above......but dont expect immediate results.

I would up my PWCs if I was you, and.....GO BUY SOME SNAILS!!!!

Get a bunch for now, you can even take some back to the lfs if you have too many....

I wave a 10 gal nano, all the rocks were covered in hair algae.....so I bought 10 snails, and then I spread them out around the tank, actually setting them on the worst spots.....they are like lawnmowers.

Best thing I have done so far!
Old 08-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

How is your SG? What salt are ou using?

I was told that a high salinity in some salt brands can lead to hair algae, Instant Ocean is one I remember in particular.

I didn't quite understand why, but my PO4 and NO3 readings were zero and I was getting some small hair algae spots. My SG was a little out of range 1.026 (stupid hydrometer), when I brought it back down to about 1.022-1.023, it disappeared.

I don't know if the SG had anything to do with it, it worked. Now no hair algae, and my tank gets allot of sun.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
and my tank gets allot of sun.
That can cause algea problems if your tank is in direct sunlight.

LIVESTOCK:
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com