Algae. Why now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello. I will try do it short as possible. You read my thread of upgrade from 90 to 125. New tank start runing July 25. I transfered everything from 90 exept send. As you adviced I bought 80 pounds of Aragonite and put 2 hand fulls of old sand. For 2 months sand was white last month something change. For last 4 weeks I have a lot of algaeon the sand and some rocks. It is dark red and brown. I read and I new where you put new sand because of silicate in it you get algae. But is it normal to get it after 2 months. Im a little worried. I change my MH one week after I get that algae. I thought that is the reason < it was time to change>. My camera broke so there will not be any pictures. Please let me know. Salnity- 1.025. Amonia-0.Nitrate-5. Nitrite-0. PH-8.2. Alkalinity-5mq/l < around 13kh>. Phosfate-0.1. Calcium-480. Magnesium-1420. Eight fishes feed every other day. On off days Nori. Water change-25g. every 2 weeks. Lights 2 MH 150w and 4-54w T5.

Are you using RO/DI filtered water? After using RO filtered water I still had algae problems. After adding a DI filter algae slowly dissipated.

Yes I use RO/Di water.I have saltwater tank for 5 years and never had problem with algae.

it's not because of silicates. you aren't using silica sand anyway...you used aragonite based sand. dark red on the sand sounds like cyanobacteria. brown sounds like diatoms. can you take a pic? either way, it's nothing to be alarmed about.

yeah, i agree with mrX on this one, sounds like cyano, though with your feeding and maintenance regimen, idk how you got it

The red may be cyano, the brown may be diatoms. I see your phosphates are a bit high so some additional water changes may help there.
What are you feeding? Frozen food should be rinsed in RODI to remove the water it was shipped in which may contain phosphates.

Also, algae in the tank will consume the nitrate and phosphate so our tests show lower numbers than actual if there was no algae.

I'm having a small problem in my tank that just started. The last time I had a cyano, or other algae problem was 4 years ago.

Sometimes we need to go back to the basics of algae control to keep things in check.

The red may be cyano, the brown may be diatoms. I see your phosphates are a bit high so some additional water changes may help there.
What are you feeding? Frozen food should be rinsed in RODI to remove the water it was shipped in which may contain phosphates.

Also, algae in the tank will consume the nitrate and phosphate so our tests show lower numbers than actual if there was no algae.

I'm having a small problem in my tank that just started. The last time I had a cyano, or other algae problem was 4 years ago.

Sometimes we need to go back to the basics of algae control to keep things in check.
I agree 100%:cool:

I feed frozen Mysis, Brine and Rod's food with Garlic, Zoe and Selcon. Newer rinse it, just after 10 min soaking put on cloth and scoop it with little spoon. Never really know how to rinse it.

Back
Top Bottom