Algaefix in a reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
On other forums I've seen very very large threads detailing experiments of using algaefix in well stocked reef tanks. In all of those threads I didnt see a single instance of any negative effects on their tanks aside from skimmers going crazy. Has anyone here used it?

I used it with little to no success. Finally pulled all my rock out and have kept it out the last 3 weeks. I'll start putting a couple of pieces in at a time back into my 120

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The best way to discourage algae growth is to cut back on excessive nutrients. Less feedings and RO/DI water changes. Save your money.

I've recently had a minor turf/hair algae problem in my DT. I PoNox dose, don't overfeed, use RODI, water changes blah blah.., I started using API algaefix marine, I got in there and picked out about 3/4 of the stuff and the tank looks great.
I agree with any other reefer about good husbandry, rodi, water changes, all that stuff. The truth is that maintaining a closed system aquarium is tricky! Finding a balance can involve so many individual parameters that none of us can really guess on a hobby sharing site.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The best way to discourage algae growth is to cut back on excessive nutrients. Less feedings and RO/DI water changes. Save your money.
Yes, but there are many instances where there is algae growth despite a 0.0 reading on phosphates and very low nitrate reading due to the algae absorbing available nutrients.

Presumably, using algae fix could put an end to that cycle allowing you a chance to eliminate the algae before it can absorb whatever nutrients are put in the system through feeding.

Reef central has a long thread on algaefix. Apparently algaefix and algaefix marine are the same. I agree that algae can grow despite doing everything correctly. I've been facing that issue for a bit now and am contemplating trying algaefix. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1595003
From that thread it seems to work for certain algae as long as you keep up good maintenance.

Reef central has a long thread on algaefix. Apparently algaefix and algaefix marine are the same. I agree that algae can grow despite doing everything correctly. I've been facing that issue for a bit now and am contemplating trying algaefix. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1595003
From that thread it seems to work for certain algae as long as you keep up good maintenance.

Thats the thread that made me start this one :)

Back
Top Bottom