Algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrapeApe

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm trying to get my head wrapped around my problem algae is taking over. Could it be the temp. In my tank? What should my temp be? Also I've turned off my white lights during the day for 4 hours now.

Attachments

• image-4285343930.jpg
    image-4285343930.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 147
  • image-1389584106.jpg
    image-1389584106.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 112
How long has the tank been running? So what is you lighting schedule now? Reducing lights should help. How much do you feed and how often?

What brand of salt are you using? i switched brands and had a ton of brown algae. went back to the old brand and it's slowly clearing.

How long has the tank been running? So what is you lighting schedule now? Reducing lights should help. How much do you feed and how often?

Along time I bought it as an established tank. My white lights come on at 9am to 1pm then turn off till 6 pm and run till 10. My blue actinic lights go from 7am till midnight. I feed once a day live shrimp and not too much

What brand of salt are you using? i switched brands and had a ton of brown algae. went back to the old brand and it's slowly clearing.

I'm using instant ocean it came with my tank

First your lights shouldnt be on frim 7 am till midnight. Thats 17 hours straight. You probably have nitrates and/or phosphates feeding the algae. Reduce your lighting, change lots of water and try to physically remive as much as possible...

Yeah you should e running your actinic lights with your daylights (white) for around 6-8 hours a day only. I would split that time as it would confuse your livestock. If you have moon lights (blues, not actinic) you can leave them on a little longer for your viewing pleasure. I would also only feed once every 2 days, that will help too...

Okay I've turned the temp down to 79 I've cut my lights down and I won't split them up. Thanks for the help. Next I'm gonna remove as much algae as I can without letting it spread.

Back
Top Bottom