ALGEA!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utradeshow

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had my tank setup for 2 1/2 months now and have 20 Tubo snails and 2 Big ?? something snails, 15 blue leg hermets, and a Yellow tang. I've been using R/O for 2 mths and still have GREEN Hair and RED Slime everywhere... What gives?????? Oh, and my tank is 75 gal with turnover 12/hr

Help Please........

All algae's need excess nutrients to thrive so you need to find the source and fix it. RO water is good and your flow rate is fine. What is your filtration system?

Do you have any LR? how much do you feed the tang and what? Have you tested you nitrates and phosphates, if you have what are the readings

Well I have 50lbs of LR (caribbean) they recommend 3/4lb per gal,

Wet/dry (Half full of bio balls)
Urchin Pro Skimmer W/Mag3
290/hr powerhead
Mag 350 canister (Empty, just for circulation)
4x65 Power compact

I have a Tang and 2 Osc. Clowns
I have a Veggie clip for the tang i refresh every day and feed shrimp and various seafood twice daily, Think i'm being carefull not to overfeed

I checked the nitrates they were very low 0 to 5.0 mg/l
Amm 0
Nitrate 0
PH 8.2
Salinity 1.023

You need to test PO4 now this is probably the problem. I would cut the feeding back to once a day and the seaweed every other day. I was feeding my tank 3 times a day like the books said and I was running higher NO3 levels. I now cut back to once a day and seaweed every other day and the fish are healthy. Pick up a PO4 test kit.
Red slime high PO4, low water flow and lighting the wrong spectrum. hair algae excess nutrients. How is the skimmer working? It can take longer then 2 months to get the bad water out and enough ro/di in there to start making a difference. How often do you do a water change and how much.
LR most say 1-2 lbs per gal so your not doing that bad with that.

Thank you, I'll get a PO4 test and see where it is, Thank you. I have to do something, It looks like the bottom of a river in my tank!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom