ALGEA, ALGEA, ALGEA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowdude

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have Hair algea growing on my live rock. do i want that there?

I also have patches of bright green algea growing on my sand, whats the best way to get rid of this. I am using a milk buffer that my lfs gave me to use, i was told that the PH levels effect the algea growth.

First off, how old is the tank? New tanks that have recently cycled will go through phases of algae blooms. Second, do you have any algae eating inverts in the tank. Snails, crabs, hermit crabs, will all help control algae to some extent. Thirdly, post some more detail about your tank, size, filtration, age, water test results, any livestock, lighting all this can affect algae growth in some cases.

thanks brad.

OK the tank is 3 months old. It is a 65 gal. I have a wet dry filtration. I tested for ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, and PH last night, all are within the desired results. Alkalinity is a bit low, but i started putting in a buffer last night. I have 10 lbs of live rock, and the lighting are regular floresents, i keep them on for a about 8 hours a day.

I have a blenny, and 2 fire shrimp. I have no crabs, i will be getting some crabs and snails this week.

Hey guys,
Talking about algea, where can I get some coraline algea? (spelling right?, the red stuff on the LR) and try to grown them into the tank?

Your best bet would be to buy some LR with it on. Then you can scrap some off the LR and put it in front of a PH or swirl it around in the tank to spread it. If you know anyone local they may be willing to scrape some off there tank and give it to you, check your local forums for someone.

I did have some LR in the tank atm, and they do have some red algea (hopeful that coraline), will this populated thru another piece of LR in the tank or they just stay put? And is there any type of supplement is recommened?

Maintain good levels of calcium (around 400-440ppm) and alkalinity (7-11dkH). With proper lighting, flow and calcium/alk, coralline will spread eventually. Keep in mind, some corallines grow better in low to moderate lighting and some grow better under higher intensity lights. HTH

Snowdude...a 3 month old tank could still be going through stages of algae blooms after cycling. If the levels of nitrate and phosphate are low and remain low then the algae will probably grow itself out of food. If you have high nitrates or phosphates then you may need to cut back on feeding and check your water source for NO3 or PO4 if you're using tapwater, switching to RO/DI water would help. The snails and crabs should help control the algaes, emerald mithrax crabs can be good for hair algae, also sally lightfoots, if you plan to make this tank a reef tank keep in mind that crabs can go postal on corals from time to time.
I would invest in a calcium kit if you are dosing alkalinity supplement, calcium and alk are closely tied and dosing just one or the other can unbalance the two leading to more problems. HTH

You can get Coraline booster pegs at IPSF.com. I got some with a 9 for $99 order and at first thought the three little pieces of plastice with algea on them were crap. Now a month and a hlaf later, I have coraline sprouting up everywhere. Little patches that are starting to grow quickly. I had so LR with Coraline, but it did not spread like this did. I have also heard if you get a soft bristle tooth brush and lightly scrub the coraline you have it will release the spores into the water and thus spread much faster. Good luck and keep the Ca/Alk up!

Back
Top Bottom