Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-24-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35
Algea Bloom

A question for 3mfrei64 if you read this or anyone else. I have a huge Algae bloom going on. I scrub and pull out alge everyone day but it's still huge. Is this to do with lighting (just spent $2,000.00 on lights so I could have corals) or is my tank to warm. Or? I try not to feed to much but maybe? Probably 3 minutes twice daily.

I am a 1 1/2 year old newbe with a 75 gallon tank and I'm trying so hard, but I feel I'm going backwards.

Thanks
Betsy
__________________

__________________
Betsy is offline  
Old 04-24-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
A question for 3mfrei64 if you read this or anyone else. I have a huge Algae bloom going on. I scrub and pull out alge everyone day but it's still huge. Is this to do with lighting (just spent $2,000.00 on lights so I could have corals) or is my tank to warm. Or? I try not to feed to much but maybe? Probably 3 minutes twice daily.

I am a 1 1/2 year old newbe with a 75 gallon tank and I'm trying so hard, but I feel I'm going backwards.

Thanks
Betsy
It can be too the light being on too long etc try different cycles less mh if your usinng it or less whatever it is. It could be to not enough filtration without knowing your system it is hard to tell so what do you have and run etc ?
__________________

__________________
Fats71 is offline  
Old 04-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club
 
ccCapt's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 5,362
Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
The #1 reason for algea outbreaks is high nutrients. Light, heat, filtration or anything else won't cause algea problems unless there is a high nutrient level to fuel the algea. You must get to the root of the problem...the source of the nutrients.
What is your nitrate level?
Do you use RO/DI water for all top offs and water changes?
How often are you doing them (pwc's)?
I also suggest running some gfo (granular ferric oxide) to remove any phosphate or silicate that may be feeding the algea.
__________________
/Larry
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline  
Old 04-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
 
Ziggy953's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Owings Mills, Maryland
Posts: 9,101
cccapt is right it takes nutrients to feed the algae but changing lights will help cause an out break. Do you have a skimmer on your system? Does it remove and skimmate? Do you have a fuge on your system? How much LR do you have? Are you using a canister or HOB filter that has sponges in them? Are the sponges in your sump?
Ziggy953 is offline  
Old 04-26-2008, 01:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccapt View Post
The #1 reason for algea outbreaks is high nutrients. Light, heat, filtration or anything else won't cause algea problems unless there is a high nutrient level to fuel the algea. You must get to the root of the problem...the source of the nutrients.
What is your nitrate level?
Do you use RO/DI water for all top offs and water changes?
How often are you doing them (pwc's)?
I also suggest running some gfo (granular ferric oxide) to remove any phosphate or silicate that may be feeding the algea.
Really light will not cause blooms ? How about sit your in front of a window lemme know it works out for ya.

Algae does not like high flow so how can you sayit has nothing to do with it.. ffs it is like some people just say the first thing that comes out of their mouth...

If you think im wrong how about checkig out bob fenners site read alittle and understand before replying.

Anywho we need parameters of your system and what you have a pic of it would be great so as to ID what it is and how to solve it.
Bob fennerr inn red in case your new to swf and im inn the white shirt hanging out with real pro's sure makes life easier.
__________________
Fats71 is offline  
Old 04-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
SW 20 & Over Club
 
ccCapt's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 5,362
Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quite the bold reply. Pretty sure of yourself huh.

Quote:
Really light will not cause blooms ? How about sit your in front of a window lemme know it works out for ya.
My tank may not be infront of a window, but 3x175 MH, 2x165 VHO, 2x40 NO flourescent = 935watts. May not be the sun, but the lights are on for 13 hrs. No algea problems here. And to make that statement, obviously you never saw or heard of greenhouse tanks which are lit by the sun only. They must really be algea tanks...right?

Quote:
Algae does not like high flow so how can you sayit has nothing to do with it.. ffs it is like some people just say the first thing that comes out of their mouth....
Not sure where that came from, but I guess you never saw algea growing on a powerhead. I guess that also means a high flow SPS tank won't have any coralline either... FFS lol I've only had a reef tank for close to 20 years, I guess I've always been lucky.

Quote:
If you think im wrong how about checkig out bob fenners site read alittle and understand before replying.
Why go to WetWebMedia when we have you with all the answers.

Quote:
Bob fennerr inn red in case your new to swf and im inn the white shirt hanging out with real pro's sure makes life easier.
Nice pic. I never met Bob, but I have met Albert Theil, Eric Borneman, Anthony Calfo, Julian Sprung, Kevin Kohen (Director of LA Divers Den) and belong to the same reef club and have traded coral with Sanjay Joshi.
What does all that mean? Nothing...lol
__________________
/Larry
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline  
Old 04-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9
Quote:
My tank may not be in front of a window, but 3x175 MH, 2x165 VHO, 2x40 NO flourescent = 935watts. May not be the sun, but the lights are on for 13 hrs. No algea problems here. And to make that statement, obviously you never saw or heard of greenhouse tanks which are lit by the sun only. They must really be algea tanks...right?
Sure have what kind of flow do they have ?

Quote:
Not sure where that came from, but I guess you never saw algea growing on a powerhead. I guess that also means a high flow SPS tank won't have any coralline either... FFS lol I've only had a reef tank for close to 20 years, I guess I've always been lucky.
Sure have and oops I started when I was 15 so ABOUT 30 years ago so now were going with start dates to DECEIDE who has the biggest e-peen.
__________________
Fats71 is offline  
Old 04-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
We all have different experiences that we must consider. Lets move on and keep it civil. Remember we are trying to help the OP with her problem. Let`s concentrate on that. Also I split these post from the original as it needed it`s own thread.
__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline  
Old 04-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus
 
roka64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13,860
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Agreed. When I upgraded my lights I had a slight algae bloom. I think a bunch of us bought the nova extremes a year also or so and there quite a few posts about the new lighting causing blooms.
Betsy, try more frequent PWCs (what kind of water are you using?), less feeding (I feed every other day, sometimes skip an extra day).
Do you have a filter with foam or media in it?
How long do you run your lights?
__________________
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline  
Old 04-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus
 
Devilishturtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Frederick, Maryland
Posts: 8,544
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I met Bob Fenner too, twice. Kinda seemed full of himself to me, but what do I know.

Anyways, I've only had my reef tank for maybe... 4 or 5 years and I've only experienced algae when the nutrients in my tank get out of hand, when cycling a new tank, or when I've slacked on water changes for a while.

So I agree, water parameters and your water change schedule would help us figure out what the problem is.

Good luck Betsy!
__________________

__________________
-Lindsay

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
algea, bloom

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
uggggg, brown algea bloom blazeyreef Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 22 11-22-2006 03:29 PM
Saltwater algea bloom StanH Saltwater Reef Aquaria 8 05-06-2005 10:00 PM
PLZ HELP W/ BROWN ALGEA BLOOM!!! Jonathan G. Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 6 04-07-2005 08:16 PM
Algea Bloom ogden10 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 12-02-2003 12:37 PM
wow! algea bloom thisanthrope Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 5 08-27-2003 06:28 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.