Algea Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Betsy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A question for 3mfrei64 if you read this or anyone else. I have a huge Algae bloom going on. I scrub and pull out alge everyone day but it's still huge. Is this to do with lighting (just spent $2,000.00 on lights so I could have corals) or is my tank to warm. Or? I try not to feed to much but maybe? Probably 3 minutes twice daily.

I am a 1 1/2 year old newbe with a 75 gallon tank and I'm trying so hard, but I feel I'm going backwards.

Thanks
Betsy

A question for 3mfrei64 if you read this or anyone else. I have a huge Algae bloom going on. I scrub and pull out alge everyone day but it's still huge. Is this to do with lighting (just spent $2,000.00 on lights so I could have corals) or is my tank to warm. Or? I try not to feed to much but maybe? Probably 3 minutes twice daily.

I am a 1 1/2 year old newbe with a 75 gallon tank and I'm trying so hard, but I feel I'm going backwards.

Thanks
Betsy

It can be too the light being on too long etc try different cycles less mh if your usinng it or less whatever it is. It could be to not enough filtration without knowing your system it is hard to tell so what do you have and run etc ?

The #1 reason for algea outbreaks is high nutrients. Light, heat, filtration or anything else won't cause algea problems unless there is a high nutrient level to fuel the algea. You must get to the root of the problem...the source of the nutrients.
What is your nitrate level?
Do you use RO/DI water for all top offs and water changes?
How often are you doing them (pwc's)?
I also suggest running some gfo (granular ferric oxide) to remove any phosphate or silicate that may be feeding the algea.

cccapt is right it takes nutrients to feed the algae but changing lights will help cause an out break. Do you have a skimmer on your system? Does it remove and skimmate? Do you have a fuge on your system? How much LR do you have? Are you using a canister or HOB filter that has sponges in them? Are the sponges in your sump?

The #1 reason for algea outbreaks is high nutrients. Light, heat, filtration or anything else won't cause algea problems unless there is a high nutrient level to fuel the algea. You must get to the root of the problem...the source of the nutrients.
What is your nitrate level?
Do you use RO/DI water for all top offs and water changes?
How often are you doing them (pwc's)?
I also suggest running some gfo (granular ferric oxide) to remove any phosphate or silicate that may be feeding the algea.

Really light will not cause blooms ? How about sit your in front of a window lemme know it works out for ya.

Algae does not like high flow so how can you sayit has nothing to do with it.. ffs it is like some people just say the first thing that comes out of their mouth...

If you think im wrong how about checkig out bob fenners site read alittle and understand before replying.

Anywho we need parameters of your system and what you have a pic of it would be great so as to ID what it is and how to solve it.
Bob fennerr inn red in case your new to swf and im inn the white shirt hanging out with real pro's sure makes life easier.
img_863066_0_2d2aed6d316900d0a335fbb52d8f196e.jpg

Quite the bold reply. Pretty sure of yourself huh.

Really light will not cause blooms ? How about sit your in front of a window lemme know it works out for ya.
My tank may not be infront of a window, but 3x175 MH, 2x165 VHO, 2x40 NO flourescent = 935watts. May not be the sun, but the lights are on for 13 hrs. No algea problems here. And to make that statement, obviously you never saw or heard of greenhouse tanks which are lit by the sun only. They must really be algea tanks...right?

Algae does not like high flow so how can you sayit has nothing to do with it.. ffs it is like some people just say the first thing that comes out of their mouth....
Not sure where that came from, but I guess you never saw algea growing on a powerhead. I guess that also means a high flow SPS tank won't have any coralline either... FFS lol I've only had a reef tank for close to 20 years, I guess I've always been lucky.

If you think im wrong how about checkig out bob fenners site read alittle and understand before replying.
Why go to WetWebMedia when we have you with all the answers.

Bob fennerr inn red in case your new to swf and im inn the white shirt hanging out with real pro's sure makes life easier.
Nice pic. I never met Bob, but I have met Albert Theil, Eric Borneman, Anthony Calfo, Julian Sprung, Kevin Kohen (Director of LA Divers Den) and belong to the same reef club and have traded coral with Sanjay Joshi.
What does all that mean? Nothing...lol

My tank may not be in front of a window, but 3x175 MH, 2x165 VHO, 2x40 NO flourescent = 935watts. May not be the sun, but the lights are on for 13 hrs. No algea problems here. And to make that statement, obviously you never saw or heard of greenhouse tanks which are lit by the sun only. They must really be algea tanks...right?

Sure have what kind of flow do they have ?

Not sure where that came from, but I guess you never saw algea growing on a powerhead. I guess that also means a high flow SPS tank won't have any coralline either... FFS lol I've only had a reef tank for close to 20 years, I guess I've always been lucky.

Sure have and oops I started when I was 15 so ABOUT 30 years ago so now were going with start dates to DECEIDE who has the biggest e-peen.

We all have different experiences that we must consider. Lets move on and keep it civil. Remember we are trying to help the OP with her problem. Let`s concentrate on that. Also I split these post from the original as it needed it`s own thread.

Last edited:
Agreed. When I upgraded my lights I had a slight algae bloom. I think a bunch of us bought the nova extremes a year also or so and there quite a few posts about the new lighting causing blooms.
Betsy, try more frequent PWCs (what kind of water are you using?), less feeding (I feed every other day, sometimes skip an extra day).
Do you have a filter with foam or media in it?
How long do you run your lights?

I met Bob Fenner too, twice. Kinda seemed full of himself to me, but what do I know.

Anyways, I've only had my reef tank for maybe... 4 or 5 years and I've only experienced algae when the nutrients in my tank get out of hand, when cycling a new tank, or when I've slacked on water changes for a while.

So I agree, water parameters and your water change schedule would help us figure out what the problem is.

Good luck Betsy!

I just read a very interesting article in Volume 10 2008 edition of Marine Fish and Reef by Eric Borneman and from what I gather all flora in the marine environment depends on nutrients, be it in the substrate or the water column to survive. Light plays a role in the continued growth of "plants" but is not the cause. With out nutrients present the plants (algaes) will not grow. Take away the light and they wont grow either. Algae in our systems requires an excess of nutrients not taken up by our fish, coral or filtration. When those excess nutrients are present in our systems then algae can grow. Proper filtration, reduced feeding, frequent water changes and keeping an eye on your water parameters will help you battle algae.

I try not to feed to much but maybe? Probably 3 minutes twice daily.

I believe this is going to be the root of your problem. There really is no need to feed that often.

I agree with the feeding too much.

Also, for whomever the shoe fits....

The tone of responses here at this site is nice because it's always civil. That's why folks like it. We all disagree from time to time, but the tone is what it's all about.

I suggest you instead post at one of those "other" sites where folks like arguing. We don't.

Last edited:
Sure have and oops I started when I was 15 so ABOUT 30 years ago so now were going with start dates to DECEIDE who has the biggest e-peen.
Rather silly. You would think somebody with that much experience and a mature tank would be a mature individual. Instead its the my rock is bigger than your rock contest.

Its simple find the algae source and eliminate it you don't need bob fenner for that one.

OK guys let`s keep it on helping the OP. We dont need for this thread to get out of hand. I dont want to have to lock this thread out.

I'm very sorry to Betsy that some members of our community cannot keep their mouths shut and move on. This thread is now closed to any more discussion. Betsy, if you have further questions, please start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom