algea bubbles please help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lordviporscorpi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have an 80 gallon aquarium with lots of live rock and lots of corals. Its a nice tank and the only big problem is that it has lots of those bubbles of algea. When i say it has alot, i mean so much that i dont think there is a rock that is not completely covered in these ugly things.

my dad seems to think thell go away eventueally wiht water changes and a protien skimmers. he even bought a fish that is said to eat them.

me personaly i think he should just get new live rock.

what should we do to get rid of this ****.

The Foxface and Emerald crab will eat bubble algae but they are not the most peaceful creatures from what I understand, and there can be some compatibility issues so research would be in order depending on what ya have in your tank.

For the bigger bubbles, there should be a hidden stem underneath the bubble where you can just remove the bubble carefully, don't let it pop!

This is strictly from what I have been reading in the past and haven't personally had bubble algae but thought it might help a little.

Also make sure your water parameters are good and there's isn't excessive nutrients going on that might be feeding algae.

Hope that helps a little.

Also maybe you could try removing each piece of LR and doing a SW scrub and rinse (mix a big tub of sw up to match your SG and then set up a siphon or lil pump up to provide a clean stream of water over the tub drain and rinse/scrub the bubbles off and go from there)

well emerald crabs are known as great bubble algae eaters... but many times they get eaten by something else in the tank... I want one for my tank they are cute.. also will be growing macro algae and marine plants.. thought the bubble algae looked kinda cool... :roll:

I had a bubble algae in my 42 hex tank a few months ago and I ended up buying a ton of emerald crabs. They didn't really make a dent in the big ones. They kept the little tiny ones at bay, I guess. Never really saw them do any work, but the small ones kinda stopped cropping up.

To get rid of the big ones I simply picked up all the rock in my tank, looked it over real carefully, and if I saw bubble algae I removed it. If it was a big one, I would gently grab it and try to twist it until it let go. They're fairly sturdy and not as easy to pop as you'd thing. As for the little ones, I just popped them and tore them off cuz I couldn't get a grip on them. Anyway, I did this like twice and they didn't come back.

I used to have a big problem with bubble algae as well...i know emeralds are known to eat them but i didn't have any at the time so i just took the rock out and used a toothbrush on it...scrubbed off all the bubble algae and next thing i knew they were a thing of the past...

Heh Ironically I am going to grow some, along with other macro algaes and possibly marine plants. I have 2.8 watts/gal of DIY compact flo's, and didn;t want to get into a reef tank, for some reason the freshwater in me loves the plants and all. Plus I think I am getting a puffer so the sea grass is something he/she will love :twisted:

My emerald never lets the algae grow. The emerald caan get pretty big to. Mine is 2 yrs old and the main body is the size of a quarter. They are tough little eaters. :mrgreen:

I had algea bubbles in my tank until i got my yellow eyed tang and then they were all gone. I never had the big ones though just a bunch of little ones.

i had an emerald crab but in my smaller 15 gallon. in the 15 there was no bubble alge but the crab cept knocking over all the corals. hhehe so i tried to glue the coral to the rock but i suck a glueing.

Can you give me any pointers on how to keep the emerald crabs from knockin things over

hmm.. good luck.. I'd say if you could stick him in another tank or quaratine foe a while.. then glue it properl and not in a rush. My friend did the same.. but it took him like 2 hours to glue his newly aquired corals... he also used putty though I believe he is not that much of a fan..

Electrobes has a point. My LR is in BIG chunks 7 to 8 lbs and above. My emerald has a big butt, but not that big! The majority of my corals require current and sufficient light. The emerald will travel to the midline of the tank, but he is not a mountain climber. I suspect he is tumbling mid-level rock? :)

Back
Top Bottom