Algea growing over coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sqasnatch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my phosphates got a little high. .75 ppm and my skimmer had a kink in the hose for a week or two that I didn't notice. All of a sudden I notice the skin peeling off some kind of plating acro, new growth on the coral is purple it's one of my fav. Cost 180 bucks, anyway I got some gfo in there right away and fixed my skimmer, so my question is, would leaving the lights off for a few days help the coral to battle off the algea, or would it not give it it's energy required to fight it? What do you think? I really don't want to loose it, I have other sps corals but this ones seems to be exceptionally sensitive.

I've been told that corals can withstand days without light. 4 days max , it's a cure for cynb algea.. (the red slime looking kind) But I have no personal experience.. I would do it a day see how things react but at very least drop your lighting down...

I have been trying something new. Only having whites on 4-5hrs daily. Thats how a lfs do it and there corals always look great... I found some supporting threads and research while looking into it. But seems to be doing the trick for me..

Not that I had a problem with algae but with coral bleaching out and die off. I'm a different story tho, (switched from T5's to Led's) I think people under estimate how powerful Led's are.... It's a mind trick because you think it's not "bright" enough but it is emitting more useful light waves and less (visible) light.

What are your parameters? Lighting [ON][OFF] time? Pics?

Mag is 1250', calcium 430, alk 7-8 ish, nit, ammonia undetectable ph 8.3. Blues come on at 8 rest at 9 then whites off at 8 and blues off at 9. So pretty much 12 hours a day. 10 hours of full light

The algea is like reddish brown, but it's not slime, just normal algea growth

Like this?

cyanorocks.jpg

No, that's slime. It's more of just a dirty layor, it's not very much, the coral is just really sensitive

Yeah could be. Well I decided to leave the lights off for a few days. We,ll see what happens from there

Your lights are on to long. There isn't a need for them to be on for 12 hours. The before mentioned about keeping the whites off has helped out in my tank with algae. There are some days I don't even turn them on, as I don't have a timer for them but I do my blues. When I'm on my days off and have more control over the lighting, I do see some algae growth. Easily solved with a magfloat as it is on the glass.

Back
Top Bottom