Algea problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andari

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had to start from scratch when my 50gal saltwater decided to come unsilled all over my living room floor and I just got my new tank. It's been circulating for about 3.5 weeks. I had to go to california for a week and when I got back there was green and red algea growing in my tank. Even spots of green on the tank walls and gravel. I have live rock and sand in the tank and that's it. Being pretty much a noob I'm not sure what I should do. Should I treat the aquarium before stocking it with any fish? If yes what should I use?

I think I figured out the problem. The guy who was watching my house left the light on the whole time I was gone.

I think I figured out the problem. The guy who was watching my house left the light on the whole time I was gone.

That'll do it...LOL. You can scrape the algae off the sides of the tank and get some reef hermits and snails to eat what's on the rocks. I like Cerith snails. They're small and hardy (key work: hardy). An algae blenny would help too :) and so would a reef safe starfish. Just test the water first to make sure there isn't any toxins or high nitrate in the system.

Back
Top Bottom