Algea problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonsong

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone,

I have had a HUGE algea problem for the last week or so and I need some awnsers...

It is everywhere...the green algea some I can wipe off with my hand the other I cant get it off period. I could probibly get it off with a razor blade but other than that it just wont come off. My LFS told me it is normal to have this happen and just keep scrubbing and water changing...so I have been scrubbing every night and water changing 2 times per week. And so far it has not made any improvements. Here are my water perameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
PH 8.4
Phosphates: 0
Temp 75F
S.G. 1.0240

Well thats it...I have some snails in there and they are helping keep it off the live rock but it just doesnt stop growing. If anyone could help me out with this...that would be fantastic. Thanks a million guys!

When I had that happen to me I was told by my Local Fish store it was because my tank had too much light and to move it away from the window where the sun was hitting it.

What ali said is true if you have sunlight shining in the tank. A couple things here. Are you only feeding every other day? Overfeeding will put DOC in your water which is fuel for the algea. Do you have a skimmer in the tank to remove DOC out of the water. Also do you have a UV light that will get rid of free floating algea spores. The main thing is to find out what is feeding that algea.

Thanks for replying fast...I am feeding every other day and still not overfeeding. I have new lights...the lighting I have is the coralife aqualight pro metal halides (2x 150 watt metal halide bulbs, 2x 96 watt attinics, and 3x 1 watt lunar lights) there are no natural sun light that goes through the tank or anywhere close. I have the lights on for 12 hours a day and I have an aqua C remora pro on the tank running 24/7 doing an excellent job! So I have no idea what the problem is?

Is it slimy? Is it sort of in sheets? Does it cover the sandbed and glass? It could be cyanobacteria, which is very difficult to remove. A black out may be neccesary. Can you get a picture of the algae.

Also what do you have in the tank? Fish and corals. Also you might have to get your LFS to do some water checks as a check to make sure yours is accurate.

If you have green hair algae, you have elevated Nitrates and/or phosphates. Thats about it. If your test kits are good or sensitive enough to help locate the issue is a different story. Sometimes its hard to track down. Usually lack of water changes (Over feeding, overstock, etc) or a filter you *think* is clean that needs replaced (not cleaned, replaced). As for your tests, get a second opinion. Algae requires food and its coming from somewhere. As for feeding if your fish are fat and sassy cut back to half of the amount you are feeding them every other day. Over feeding is one of the issues that crop up over time you don't realize until its a problem. I don't like to link to this site for the pop ups, so I apologize, but its as direct and to the point on the algae problem as it gets.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/algaecontrol/a/aa070403.htm

Same question over and over, same answer..Find the source of the excess nutrients and starve off your algae. As for the 'Sun light causes algae' wives tale its not that its not helpful, just not technically accurate so don't waste time breaking down your tank or putting up new blinds. If you have good new quality bulbs, your all set. Find the source and stop it. Always remember that once you correct the condition, it can and probably will take weeks for you to see a difference.

Peace.

okay well...three test kits and my water proves to be un changable...all my perameters check out. And it is wierd algea...it is deffinitly not slime algea. There are 2 types growing inside of the aquarium...a hard algea appearing in small spots and is impossable to get off and the other will quickly be removed by rubbing it off with my hand. It is kind of wierd...it is a new fixture so the bulbs are new, I feed every second day, my filter is the fluval FX5 and it is quite new (less than a year) so I really dont think it needs replacing. But I think I might know what the problemo is...in my filter I have 3 filter media baskets 2 filled with live rock and the other bio balls. I think that the live rock is going under a "limbo" like effect because it is not totally submersed so it is dieing off yet water trickles through it so it is like trying to re-cure it. Just a thought...does any one else have any suggestions?

Well its decided...after taking in consideration of everything said and pondering for some nights I believe that I have come to a conclusion...for it is my tap water that is causing this algea. Yes I have decided to spend my money on an RO DI unit to help kill this algae! I will have to do plenty of water changes with good RO DI water to catch it up and spend one afternoon working on the algea and im pretty sure that will be the end of it! So does anyone want to give me any suggestions on my theory or explain how and where I am going to run this unit...

Well im just gonan keep working on it and see where it goes. I finally found out what type of algea it is and to get rid of it I will have to water change with RODI water, toothbrush, razer blade, and a syphon hose...but I have promisied myself I will get rid of it!

The RO/DI unit is excellent idea. It will stop the fuel cycle for the algea. Just manually take the algea out little by little and go to RO/DI and you`ll be on track

[/quote]So does anyone want to give me any suggestions on my theory or explain how and where I am going to run this unit...
I had my rodi hooked up in the laundry room right of the cold water to the washing machine. Went into one of those big round garbage cans. Then used the python hose to fill the tank with new rodi water. I new that spare mag drive would come in handy for something. Its great pump the water out, pump the new stuff in. Makes life just a little easier.
The rodi water cleared up some of my algea problems in a little 20 nano. HTH

Why don't people every suggest a turbo snail. Mexican turbos are great and will eat algae at a fast rate. They are very good at gettign things all cleaned up.

Back
Top Bottom