Algea problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laureniron31

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon nano reef tank with 13kg of live rock, but I have a terrible Algea problem, it even grows on the sand! Is there anything I can put in there to reduce the Algea? As my cleanup crew don't seem to be doing much, lol any information will be appreciated ! Thanks

Tell us more about your tank. Do you run ro/di? How often do you feed your tank? How much do you feed? What is your lighting schedule? How much flow is in your tank? What are your current parameters?

I have 3 light settings in the tank sunlight moonlight and twilight, sunlight is on for about 8 hours moonlight about 4 and twilight all through the night, the lighting is all t5, they are feed mysis shrimp 2 times a day only small bits, any remaining bits are scooped back out as I'm aware leftover bits can ruin nitrate levels, all levels are stable ammonia is 0ppm

I'd also reduce feedings. Twice a day is alot. Even when your fish eat it (and lets be honest of course they are going to eat it) those nutrients don't magically disappear...they settle to the bottom of your tank as poop and fuel algae just like uneaten food will.

Sniperhank said:
I'd also reduce feedings. Twice a day is alot. Even when your fish eat it (and lets be honest of course they are going to eat it) those nutrients don't magically disappear...they settle to the bottom of your tank as poop and fuel algae just like uneaten food will.

Hit the nail on the head too much food in tank. Also somewhat related I hear having pods in tank could reduce that excess nutrients/left over food

Hocky puck said:
Hit the nail on the head too much food in tank. Also somewhat related I hear having pods in tank could reduce that excess nutrients/left over food

Put a couple tongan nassarius snails in there their great for gettin any leftover food that hits the sand only feed enough food that your fish consume in less than 2 minutes

Back
Top Bottom