Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2004, 12:13 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
wow nice posts so I can use or not use baking soda as bupher I bought seachem ph3 and the aragomilk should I take them back, I test for Kh but do not test for calcium alone, I have a GH test but understand this is not tested in saltwater. Do I need seperate calcium test kit.
if you buy the red sea calk it will come with the apprpiate test kits. its very easy to use and red sea gives very explicit directions on the testing of and scheduling dosage for your specific tank. ive never used anything else though, so i invite others to comment please.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 01:59 AM   #22
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-dean
wow nice posts so I can use or not use baking soda as bupher I bought seachem ph3 and the aragomilk should I take them back
Unless your tank has a larger CaCO3 demand than weekly water changes can keep up with you might need them. I would not bother with the argamilk for any reason but the Saachem product might come in handy at some point. What is ph3? They have a few different types of buffers.

Quote:
I test for Kh but do not test for calcium alone, I have a GH test but understand this is not tested in saltwater. Do I need seperate calcium test kit.
If this will be an FOWLR or FO it will not be essential but IME, maintaining proper chemistry goes along way to reducing problems in a healthy ecosystem. If you are planning on any type of reef tank, then definately get the calcium test as well as magnesium. I would also transition your current KH test kit to one that reads in mEq/l or DKH once it runs out, it can be much easier to find answers on line. Very few use ppm CaCO3.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-08-2004, 04:38 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Back to the same ol'e same ol'e...

For the last two days I have measured my Alk 24 hours after adding Seachem's Reef Builder. It has been 8DKH both days. Doesn't make sense as according to the bottle, the amount I am dosing should easily raise the Alk about 2.8 DKH per day. So it should easily be 11-12 DKH right now. I did a Mg test and it came out to 1300...

Now if I measure the Alk immediately after the addition of the buffer, it jumps up over 10 DKH. But somehow dwindles down during a 24 hour period. My Alk kit is extremely low so I should have another one coming in next week. Perhaps I do have a bad kit or something...
Old 04-08-2004, 06:19 PM   #24
steve-s

It does make sense actually if that's what the tank uses. Instead of the 1 tspn, try a rounded tspn and see what that does. In order to raise the level, you need to add slightly more than the tank needs to surpass the daily consumption.

The other option would be large daily water changes... 8O

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-08-2004, 10:28 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I am going to do a water change tomorrow. From my previous tests, Oceanic salt mix (which is what I use) measures out to 485 ppm CA and 8-8.5 DKH of Alk. I am thinking tomorrow when I get in that I will go ahead and up the Alk of the makeup water to around 11DKH and then perform the change.

Quote:
It does make sense actually if that's what the tank uses. Instead of the 1 tspn, try a rounded tspn and see what that does. In order to raise the level, you need to add slightly more than the tank needs to surpass the daily consumption.
Actually, I have been using two rounded tspns as that should raise 40 gallons of water approx 1 meq/l according to the instructions. This is the maximum recommended dose as well....

Does this seem normal, though, that I should have to dose this much alk in a tank daily just to hold 8DKH? I'll be glad when I get my new kit in order to double check these figures.

The wonders of reefkeeping...

Old 04-09-2004, 12:34 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

have you been checking ph? if ph is low it wil utilize the additional hardness

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:09 AM   #27
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen
Does this seem normal, though, that I should have to dose this much alk in a tank daily just to hold 8DKH? I'll be glad when I get my new kit in order to double check these figures.
Doesn't make much sense at all really unless there are other environmental conditions at work. Douggie has brought up a very important one ph. I am sure you are aware of the more common problems but you may also want to explore that a bit more. Including airflow in the room, air borne chems or other CO2 contaminates such as gas stoves or other natural gas equip.

2 tspn of buffer is rather excessive on a daily basis just to maintain a 40 gal tank. I will be intersted to see what results your new test kit may yield. How has the Ca behaved since you stopped dosing the CaCl?

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-09-2004, 08:58 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

[quote]have you been checking ph? if ph is low it wil utilize the additional hardness [quote]

I do check the pH every so often but not on a regular basis. Eveytime I test it, it is always about the same: ~7.9 right before the lights come on and 8.2-8.3 during the light period all the way until the lights go off. Pretty normal I believe...

Quote:
How has the Ca behaved since you stopped dosing the CaCl?
You know, I haven't even tested for Ca for the past few days since I have been playing around with the alk. I will test for it this morning before I do the water change and report back. I would imagine it has fallen from its previous level of 390 ppm. But I'll check to be sure.

When I do a water change today I am going to break down some of the pumps and take a good look at the heater to see if there is any major precipitation going on as well. Perhaps my Alk is sky high and my test kit just isn't reporting that and that could be leading to some precipitation.

I want to thank you both so much for all your help thus far. I am determined that we will get this figured out.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:39 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Perhaps my Alk is sky high and my test kit just isn't reporting that and that could be leading to some precipitation.
try mixing some salt water (a gallon would be enough) according to the salt mix specs (most salt mix companies give a alk and ca level when mixed to a certain sg) and test the water to see if you get a result similar to the specs. this should tell you if your tests are relatively good, or not. be carefull, some companies give specs that use ordinary tap water with there mix. i guess they use some sort of nationwide average?

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 04-09-2004, 11:16 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I tested for Ca this morning before the water change and it had dropped to around ~350 ppm which is expected.

My Alk kit is depleted now. I am not going to worry about messing with the Alk anymore until I get my new kits in next week. Hopefully that will shed some light on the subject.

Good idea douggiesyle! When I get my new kit in, I'll give it a try.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com