Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2004, 04:10 PM   #31
cj10488

What I have done with my Oceanic salt is Mixed up a 30gal bucket full of It.. I add about 2tbsp of 6:1 ration Baking soda/Washing soda.. It brings my water change water up to about 3.43meq/l which is right about where my tank is.. After that I just let the Ca reactor keep it at those levels... My calcium will always be higher... I would use the 6:1 ratio for alk as it seems alot stronger Just test after the first tbsp LOL..

HTH<
James
Old 04-15-2004, 05:34 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I got my new Alk and Ca Salifert test kits in today. Justed tested the tank and this is what I got:

Alk - 6.7DKH
Ca - 420 ppm

Now I have been using Kalk to topoff the tank. I have an auto topoff installed, and it doses the saturated Kalk as water evaporates.

So these numbers are inline with what I was thinking they would be. Heavy alk consumption and the kalk can't keep up, while there is some Ca consumption and the Kalk is doing a fairly decent job at that.

I went ahead and dosed 1 tsp of Reef Builder. According to the instructions that should raise the Alk by ~1.4 DKH. I'll do this every day until my target 10-11DKH has been hit. We will see what happens.

Oh, BTW, I will hold off on Ca until I get the Alk straightened out as per Steve's instructions. I think 420 is pretty good anyway but I'll probably bump it up to 450.

Old 04-15-2004, 06:11 PM   #33
cj10488

I would skip the reefbuilder and use something like Kent super DKH or Reefrunners 6:1 mix.. It will yeild better results.. I have used seachem products many times and find them very weak at best... I like the 6:1 mix to balance things out.. After that Kalk should work for you..

James
Old 04-15-2004, 06:41 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

How much kalk is being dosed? and is your alk steady or does it fall and fall and fall? I seem to remember that kalk will actually lower alk if dosed too much too quick. Also, how are you mixing your kalk?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:42 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
would skip the reefbuilder and use something like Kent super DKH or Reefrunners 6:1 mix.
I was thinking about picking up the Kent Super DKH next time at the fish store. I am actually running out of the Reef Builder anyway.

The only problem I have with Kent products is that there is never any information about how much of the dose actually affects the system. Seachem usually states what will happen in a 40 gallon tank with one dose of the product. That way you can generalize how much of the product you should use to get the desired result. Kent Marine doesn't do this. They simply say what you should use per gallon without telling you what amount of "x" chemical you are raising.

Quote:
How much kalk is being dosed? and is your alk steady or does it fall and fall and fall? I seem to remember that kalk will actually lower alk if dosed too much too quick. Also, how are you mixing your kalk?
Hard to say how much is being dosed as the auto topoff takes care of everything. I would say that probably 1 - 1.25 gallons per day is dosed into the sump. The fan I have down there increases the evaporation rate quite a bit.

The is the first time I have checked for Alk in a week so I am not sure what the level has been doing. I do know that I have always had a constant low Alk for some time.

I mix the Kalk by putting in approx 15 rounded teaspoons of Kalk into my topoff container. I then pump in FW into there so that it can mix. It then sits for approx 5 hours before I turn on the auto topoff pump to begin dosing it in the tank.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:51 PM   #36
cj10488

Quote:
I was thinking about picking up the Kent Super DKH next time at the fish store. I am actually running out of the Reef Builder anyway.
Why not try the 6:1 baking soda - washing Soda mix.. I believe its 1tbsp per 20g to raise Dkh 1meq/l It works rather well for me and is the same as most Alk supplements.. I would add enough for 20g at first and see the results in a few hours... I use it in my SW mix to get the Oceanic Salt mix to the proper alk level +- a few dkh... Its very cheap and much much cheaper than the Kent stuff...
Quote:
The only problem I have with Kent products is that there is never any information about how much of the dose actually affects the system
Should be about the Same as the 6:1 mix.. 1tbsp per 20g to raise about 1meq/l I have never used it as I prefer the cheaper 6:1 mix As long as its not used on a very regular basis like in my case 1 tbsp in my 30g bucket of SW.. thats the only time i will use it LOL..

James
Old 04-15-2004, 09:17 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

It actually raises it 1 DKH rather than meq/L, it is sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and sodium carbonate (Arm & Hammer washing soda).

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 06:52 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I tested my Alk this morning and it is up to 8.2 DKH. I am getting it up there bit by bit. Just wanted to post an update... As soon as I get it to around 10DKH, I'll fiddle with the Ca a little ot get it up to around 450 ppm.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:02 PM   #39
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen
As soon as I get it to around 10DKH, I'll fiddle with the Ca a little ot get it up to around 450 ppm.
430 ppm Ca would be better for that alk level. Also be sure you monitor the Mg while you do this. It will fall out of solution with the constant buffer additions. It wouldn't hurt to bring the Mg levels up to 1500 ppm for now. Just be sure any Mg is dosed several hours after a buffer addition or you will end up with Magnesium Carbonate if dosed too close together.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-18-2004, 09:18 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
430 ppm Ca would be better for that alk level.
Yeah, I should have looked at Andy's site before saying that.

I checked the Alk this morning after adding 2 tsp of Reef Builder yesterday. It hadn't risen a bit, still at 8.2 DKH. I believe James is correct in that the Reef Builder seems to be weak for some reason. For whatever reason, it can't seem to raise the Alk beyond 8 DKH.

So, I went ahead and used some baking soda I had on hand this morning to adjust the Alk since the Reef Builder is not doing the job any longer. I checked the Alk about 4 hours after the addition and it was up to 10.2 DKH. I'll check it again tomorrow (24 hours after the dose) and see if is above 8 DKH.

I'll check the Mg level as well tomorrow to see what is going on there. Luckily, Oceanic salt has a Mg level that is extraordinarily high. Around ~1350 out of the box. Hopefully, it is still high enough...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com