Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Alk dosage problems?

I guys! I have found that my all goes down roughly i point per day. So, i have my alk buffer and add 1tsp per day dissolved in half a cup of tank water. Problem is, whenever i do this, all corals close! And my anenome REALLY hates it. Any ideas what i can do?

Any other info needed, please ask. Not sure what other info might help
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66
I guys! I have found that my all goes down roughly i point per day. So, i have my alk buffer and add 1tsp per day dissolved in half a cup of tank water. Problem is, whenever i do this, all corals close! And my anenome REALLY hates it. Any ideas what i can do?

Any other info needed, please ask. Not sure what other info might help
Try dissolving longr and just pour it in lil at a time in sump
__________________

__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66
I guys! I have found that my all goes down roughly i point per day. So, i have my alk buffer and add 1tsp per day dissolved in half a cup of tank water. Problem is, whenever i do this, all corals close! And my anenome REALLY hates it. Any ideas what i can do?

Any other info needed, please ask. Not sure what other info might help
Oh and dissolve it in ro water itll disolve waaayy better
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

Oh and dissolve it in ro water itll disolve waaayy better
Cool! I dont have a sump...but maybe a back chamber..? Should i dose less? I havent dose the last couple days because of this!
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Nu-Nu the eel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,455
Does 1 point per day seem like a normal amount? It seems like alot to me.
__________________
Nu-Nu the eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
SW 20 & Over Club
 
ccCapt's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 5,362
Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
You definitely want to dissolve it in freshwater, not saltwater. By dumping that much baking soda in saltwater you are forcing it to precipitate. I bet the solution looks like milk. When you dump that in, it doesn't totally dissolve so you are not getting the full benefit of what you are intending.

When you say 1 point, it that 1 dKH or 1 meq/l? There is a huge difference.
__________________
/Larry
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt
You definitely want to dissolve it in freshwater, not saltwater. By dumping that much baking soda in saltwater you are forcing it to precipitate. I bet the solution looks like milk. When you dump that in, it doesn't totally dissolve so you are not getting the full benefit of what you are intending.

When you say 1 point, it that 1 dKH or 1 meq/l? There is a huge difference.
If your doin sps then yes thats normal i was dosing 2-part alk and cal daily finally i gave up and bought a calcium reactor
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Hey guys. Im meaning 1dkh...and ok! Sweet. Ill dissolve the stuff in rodi. Should use more water too? Like a full cup?
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.