Alk, PH and Ca question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gear-head

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tank is about 4 months old and I want to add corals soon. So I got Borneman's book on corals, and have been testing for alk, KH, pH and Ca.

Borneman recommends these as target values:
Alk: 3.2 to 4.5 meq/L
KH: 7 - 12 dKH
pH: 8.2 to 8.4
Ca: 400 to 450 ppm

So a few days ago I tested (Salifert Kits) and got:
Alk: 2.63 meq/L
KH: 7.4 dKH
pH: 8.2
Ca: 380ppm

To get those numbers up, I've been using Kent Superbuffer - dKH a few times over the past week and now:
Alk: 3.66 meq/L
KH: 10.2
pH: 8.3
Ca: 440

So far so good :D (I've also been doing weekly 10% water changes with Reef Crystals Sea Salt)

(There's a question in here somewhere :roll: )

Is using the Kent Superbuffer dKH the same process as dripping Kalk, and should I be doing that regularly?

I worry that when I start adding corals, the levels will deplete faster than my water changes or intermittent use of the buffer can handle?

Personally I like to keep the chemistry at the high end of NSW (3 mEq/l alk, 420 ppm Ca) but other than giving you some flexibility in dosing, higher values will not offer any additional benefit. The only exception being higher alk can sometimes help with problem algae control.

gear-head said:
Is using the Kent Superbuffer dKH the same process as dripping Kalk, and should I be doing that regularly?
Superbuffer doesn't need to be dripped if added in the early AM depending on how much is added. The main concern with it's use is the changes caused to pH. If the addition does not spike the pH more than 0.2 in a short period, it will be fine. I think overall though, you'll find either kalk or a two part buffer easier on you and the inhabitants in the long run. Might even need a combination of both if the demand gets high. There's also the possibility of reactors.

I worry that when I start adding corals, the levels will deplete faster than my water changes or intermittent use of the buffer can handle?
Ca and alkalinity aren't going to get used up in a balanced fashion so you will still need the buffer and possibley a seperate CaCl but once the scleractinian numbers grow, water changesd won't keep up.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom