Alk up cannot bring down!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadManMac

Aquarium Advice Freak
My ALK seems to have risen up to about 13.8 dKH. I really would like it to be lower somewhere around 10 dKH. Currently my Ca is about 400, and I have been dosing Kent Liquid Ca to try and bring up the Calcium and the Alk down. Any thoughts on how I can get this to come down, it has been nearly two weeks and no change as of yet. All other parameters are great.

Can you list everything you dose? It should fall on its own unless you are dosing it with some othe additive. Are you adding any type of buffer or Borate product?

Only thing going in the tank is Kent Marine Liquid Calcium at 5ml per day and 2 drops of Lugol's Solution once a week.

Almost sounds like either bad salt or a bad test kit.

Try mixing up some fresh saltwater and test it for ALK. If you get a reasonable reading them I have no idea what's happening with your tank. I don't see how ALK can climb that high all on its own.

Are you using IO salt? I would say those readings were consistant with IO salt that has been doesd slowly with CaCl. To my knowledge CaCl will have minimal impact on ALK if dosed slowly.

Just to suppliment what Kevin said, I have noticed that my IO: Reef Crystals keep the ALK off the charts. I understand its a trait of the mix.

What is the negative to a higher Alk? Do I need to worry about this level or shoudl I just go with it? I actually buy my water from the LFS premade. I test every fourth batch and all has been right on so far. The Alk testes 10.8 dKH so I do not think that is it.

Can I add a larer one time does of CaCl to bring down the Alk without hurting anything?

What is the negative to a higher Alk?

Depends on how hig, in an extreme enough case, I would expect some animal and plant death. Even the "recommended" levels are elevated compared to NSW, but NSW is constant, our tanks are not.

The Alk testes 10.8 dKH so I do not think that is it.

Can I add a larer one time does of CaCl to bring down the Alk without hurting anything?

Do water changes and stop dosing everything. Once your tank is back in balance, go with a two part additive or kalkwasser, something that is ionically balanced.

Back
Top Bottom