Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-21-2005, 11:01 AM   #11
Originally Posted by kimberly
We used tap water, but we just got a RO filter and as we do water changes we will be using RO water.
You will want to eventually add a DI stage to the RO system for tank water. RO alone will not remove PO4 or silicates. It's not a must but it is a plus and reasonabley inexspensive. Just don't buy it from an LFS.

We feed the fish a bit of this green frozen stuff that we got at lfs and some baby brine.
Depending on the fish you have/will be keeping, foods are quite important and should be tailored to a natural diet. The brine is not a good food source as it contain very little usable protein and not much nutritional value at all. If available switch to mysis shrimp for small meat eaters which has a much higher protien content. The "green" food is most likely a herbavor preparation which could be a good addition. Do you know the brand name?

If you want to be sure the foods you feed are high in nutritional value without the problem of adding "algae fuel", I would highly recommend making your own.

I just want to have good info before I go there so that I can make more informed decisions and not buy what they tell me I have to have, kwim?
Best suggestion there is never buy on impulse. If the LFS recommends or suggests something, simpley thank them without purchasing it. Then as you've done here, research the "need" for for they suggested and see if it applies to your tank. As far as the PO4 test, personally I wouldn't bother. Since you've been using tap water, I can assure you it's there without testing for it. Selecting appropriate foods and eventually getting the DI attachment for the water purifier will eliminate it.

Old 04-21-2005, 02:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
The green frozen stuff is "homemade" at the lfs we got it (Tropicorium, I understand it is "famous"). They said that was what they fed their clowns. The recipe looks interesting, but I barely have time to cook for my human family, I know that I don't have time to make stuff for the fish!

As for walking away without buying, that is why I try to do my research first. I have two toddlers and anywhere I go they go and chasing them around the lfs is not my idea of a good time! So I try to minimize trips of that sort and husband is working ridiculous hours right now so he is unable to do it. But those are my problems and have little to do with the SW tank.

kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:09 AM   #13
Originally Posted by kimberly
But those are my problems and have little to do with the SW tank.
But we all need to vent or we pop

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com