Alkalinity dropping slowly...normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just did my weekly water testing today and found that over the last month and a bit that my alkalinity is dropping while my PH was staying steady at 8.2. I was under the impression that alkalinity and PH were tied together. Is there anything I should do to raise the alk? I'm using the red reef test kit and the scale shows me that I'm on the low side 2.0.

Parameters are:

SG 1.025
PH 8.2
Alk 2.0
Cal 420
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

The tank has been up and running since October of 2010 with mostly LPS corals, and 5 fish, CUC, etc. (120g)

Is this normal? Also I found that changing 20gal every two weeks seems to keep everything in check. I test right before and then 24-48 hrs after the pwc and all remains the same except as stated above for the alk in the last month & a bit. Thanks...

Steve

Have you tested the salt water mix before a pwc to check Alk, Ca, and Mg?
A regular pwc should keep the levels in check unless you have a large load that is using it. I would expect the Ca to be affected more.

I had a problem with Kent salt mix a few years ago on 2 buckets. Kent confirmed the problem from samples I sent them and sent some buffer.

So start. With checking the salt mix and work from there.

Also it could be your test kit. Before making any adjustments, which could do more harm, I'd find someone that can test your water with a different brand of test kit.

Back
Top Bottom