Alkalinity Question/Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
Ok, I just tested my alk with my hanna checker. I am at 64 ppm. If my math is correct, that puts it at 3.5. Is my math right? I don't think that is possible since it should be double that.

IMO, I would hold on that "alk raising" stuff.
The question you should be asking is "why is it so low?".

What is the result for Ca?
What is the result for Mg?
What is the pH?
What is your water change routine and when did you do the last one?
Do you have rock and is it enough?
What is your coral stock, if any?
Describe your system.

A few water changes should get you back to normal and then you need to trend your results and see where you need to compensate.

IMO, I would hold on that "alk raising" stuff.
The question you should be asking is "why is it so low?".

What is the result for Ca?
What is the result for Mg?
What is the pH?
What is your water change routine and when did you do the last one?
Do you have rock and is it enough?
What is your coral stock, if any?
Describe your system.

A few water changes should get you back to normal and then you need to trend your results and see where you need to compensate.
Right on! One more thing to check is the Hanna instruction. It mat say double the reading to get the final result. I think I have read it from one of the thread before.

Sadly, this has been a problem I've been battling for awhile. Water changes have not solved it. My Ca is 600, do not have a mag test. pH would be a light 7.8.

I do 10% water changes weekly on my 55 mixed reef w/ 20 long sump/refugium. There is a dual reactor running purigen, anti-phosphate+nitrate along with chemipure along side my oversided reef octopus skimmer rated at 150 gallons. The tank itself is well stocked with corals, but not near enough to be absorbing this amount of alk without the calcium. This is known to be true as this is a constant issue in this system and have battled alk before, changing salt mixes to have a higher calc/alk than normal IO or reef crystals to Kent.

You know all this, topping off, corals and coralline algae all use alk, lps and softies tend to absorb more alk.just have to figure out dosing amount. Alk is hard to keep up in a closed system and with growth even harder. My cal is at 480,mag 1470 and alk 9.1 if I miss a day dosing alk drops to 7.7-7 or lower.

That cal of 600 indicates you do have alk problem. They have opposite interaction. I would dose 30ml daily of B-ionic part 1 until you reach your target. Your cal will slowly drop down to normal. Add part 2 if cal drops down to 400 but make sure your mag is not below 1250.

Sigh. I don't want to dose the tank. But guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Needed to order more salt anyway, might as well do it all at once right?
And of course after I start dosing ill have to find a way to automate the process with unstable work schedule. Dosing first I guess.

Once you attain the ideal readings of mag, alk and cal you can start topping off mixed with calkwasser. Start with a ratio of 1 tablespoon per gal on top off water.

Back
Top Bottom