All and about

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a8r9d

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can any one tell me what things that i would need to start a salt water tank(55 gal.) and i herd one that it is eaiser to have a larger tank any way what do i need to start

Thanks

alls you need to do is search and read read read. The info is out there. Try to find some books on saltwater keeping at your local library...and search this website for articles and past posts that answer your questions. There's simply too much info to post to answer your question. Good luck with your research:)

First of all WELCOME!
I am new as well. I started by buying a 55 gal tank at an auction. I went to a used bookstore and bought a bunch of SW books (just to save a few $s). I just read quite a bit and asked the "fish lady" at the LFS (local fish store). They way I started was adding crushed coral, for my substrate. Added the water and salt, heater, PH (power head...moves the water)/canister filter, and checked the water stats without eh LFS. I actually waited about 2 weeks before adding any fish (I just wanted to make sure everything was correct..) I added the live rock first and the some starter fish. LFS told me some damsels are hardy starter fish. I got 2 yellow tail, 2 three stripped damsels and one blue devil damsel. I actually, waited for my first water change to make sure nothing happened. It was a pretty good change....except I didn't check the PH in my new water, and my blue devil got a little chewed on. Anyways, my point is, ask a ton of questions, and try to go with the majority. Take your time, find a good LFS, with people that know what they are talking about. Buy some used books, buy new books and read a lot on the web.
Good Luck!

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but..

I just read quite a bit and asked the "fish lady" at the LFS (local fish store). They way I started was adding crushed coral, for my substrate.
Some LFS offer good advice, but I would check here to see if the information is close or way off. I personally would use sand rather than CC.
I actually waited about 2 weeks before adding any fish
Two weeks isn't quite long enough for a cycle to complete in most cases. Some cycles have taken from 4-6 weeks before adding specimens. The LR added will also create another nitrogen cycle, which could also harm fish within the tank in a short period.

I would stop by here more frequently and ask questions before taking the advice of a LFS. If the information matches, or is somewhat close, then you will have some faith in them. You would be surprised at what a LFS will tell you to make a sell. :(

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Thanks, Salttanker, I didn't even realize about the 4-6 weeks. I do need to correct myself, I did wait about a month, probably about 5 weeks, before putting in any fish (sorry about that). I also missed that I put in live sand as well (sorry about that too, I check this at work and sometime lose track of what I was saying). I have well water, so that may have helped the cycle along a little faster. I know I drove the LFS crazy, showing up testing water and asking questions, but she has not steered me wrong yet....I just wanted to be very careful. I think of my fish like my 150LBs mutt that I love and got from the no kill shelter, not far from my house.
Thanks again, and I am sorry I confused myself and possibly others...

No worries roka64. We are all here to help fellow hobbyists decide on what works and what doesn't. These are all opinions based on experience, of course. Some people may have success with CC, some don't. For less maintenance and hassle, sand has always been my favorite.

If your LFS has been helping you successfully, then that's good. I don't have many here that I trust, and most of the information is readily available on this site where experience is key to this hobby. I have been in this hobby for 13+ years, and I am still learning as technology is better and more readily available at affordable prices.

Regards,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom