Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All Fish In One Spot

Why do my fish tend to hang out on one side of tank? Is it because of flow? The powerhead is 800 gph and Aquaclear 50 is 200 gph in 27 gallon cube. Should I rearrange live rock?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1660796992.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	163883

Old 03-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

1000gph in a 27 isn't bad.....37x volume. Could be just the way it's pointed since most of it is coming from one source. I've got about 2230gph (79x) in my 28 nano, but it comes from 6 different sources that can be adjusted around..... 2 Acella return pumps at 266ea, and 4 Hydor 425's.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
1000gph in a 27 isn't that bad.....37x volume. Could be just the way it's pointed since most of it is coming all from one source. I've got about 2230gph (79x) in my 28 nano, but it comes from 6 different sources that can adjusted around..... 2 Acella return pumps at 266ea, and 4 Hydor 425's.
Yeah the pump is rated 16-52 gallon for marine tanks. I tried 4 different positions yesterday but to no avail. I have a Hydor 240 also and will point it at my Sicce powerhead to see if it changes anything. All of fish is segregated in one area. It doesn't look good and making some of them territorial.
Any particular reason why you have that much flow?
Old 03-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

SPS corals like lots of flow..... And, with the adjustability of 6 sources, I still have lower flow areas where I am able to keeps mushrooms without them flapping all over the place.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clowns like to hang around in a moderate flow area. They find a good spot at the corner of your tank. Besides you may not have a good distribution of your water temp. Your heater is at the wrong location. It should be at the high flow and the ideal is at the front of power head not at the back.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Clowns like to hang around in a moderate flow area. They find a good spot at the corner of your tank. Besides you may not have a good distribution of your water temp. Your heater is at the wrong location. It should be at the high flow and the ideal is at the front of power head not at the back.
I'll move the heater and see how it goes. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaClown View Post
Why do my fish tend to hang out on one side of tank? Is it because of flow? The powerhead is 800 gph and Aquaclear 50 is 200 gph in 27 gallon cube. Should I rearrange live rock?

Attachment 163883
I would not use an 800 gph ph in a 27 gal cube. It will definitely create too much current in a concentrated area. Try using half size of that then point the smaller pump 200 gph slightly at one side of the rocks.

Tags
spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com