Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a beautiful Chevron tang in my 75 gal. Also part of the bristle tooth family. They can be expensive but I have connections. Lol. I also have other fish but my fav is my marine beta. If you're doing a FOWLR this would be a great addition. I have her in my reef and she's very well behaved with corals, not so much with my hermits and snails. Also IMO get your shrimp before adding the fish that are reef safe with caution. This normally means they have a tendency to eat shrimp, crabs, snails.... I've had my skunk cleaner for a year and added the larger fish after. No one bothers him, not even my blue throat trigger.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post
Also any ideas in equipment, stocking, ect. Feel free to post
If you are going with a jaw fish you will need to make some accomodations for him. Check out this article I read earlier today

Let's Jaw About Jawfish by Henry C. Schultz III - Reefkeeping.com

Have you looked at a flasher wrasse such as a McCosker or Carpenter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteFaye View Post
I have a beautiful Chevron tang in my 75 gal. Also part of the bristle tooth family. They can be expensive but I have connections. Lol. I also have other fish but my fav is my marine beta. If you're doing a FOWLR this would be a great addition. I have her in my reef and she's very well behaved with corals, not so much with my hermits and snails. Also IMO get your shrimp before adding the fish that are reef safe with caution. This normally means they have a tendency to eat shrimp, crabs, snails.... I've had my skunk cleaner for a year and added the larger fish after. No one bothers him, not even my blue throat trigger.
If i'm not mistaken the chevrons are some of the bigger tangs in that family and need a bigger tank than their smaller counterparts.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:49 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Blue zoo days 75gal. But (as everyone says, lol) I am upgrading when I move. And if he becomes cramped ill rehome him. He's super happy now. But to the OP I agree you should look at the flasher wrasses. They can be quite the eye catcher!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Blue zoo days 75gal. But (as everyone says, lol) I am upgrading when I move. And if he becomes cramped ill rehome him. He's super happy now. But to the OP I agree you should look at the flasher wrasses. They can be quite the eye catcher!
I avoid looking at blue zoo for fish care. If you look around they also say that a powder blue tang, hippo tang, and yellow tang are all acceptable in a 75g as well.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

I avoid looking at blue zoo for fish care. If you look around they also say that a powder blue tang, hippo tang, and yellow tang are all acceptable in a 75g as well.
Hmm, I will then. I tend to realy on live aquria mostly. They have great stocking options. Will a flasher an a red head gel along fine? Also any recommendations on a canister filter?

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I love the look of marine Betta's, but heard they can be picky to feed. Hmm, to the Internet with more research haha

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post

I love the look of marine Betta's, but heard they can be picky to feed. Hmm, to the Internet with more research haha
Mine ate right away but maybe I just got lucky. He eats mysis, brine, krill and pellets. Same for my moorish idol.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

My marine beta ate at the store (I made sure he ate frozen) and he/she even eats clams and other frozen foods and pellets. But that's why I was hesitant to get one but he's great and soooo beautiful.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
My marine beta ate at the store (I made sure he ate frozen) and he/she even eats clams and other frozen foods and pellets. But that's why I was hesitant to get one but he's great and soooo beautiful.
Mine decided to eat a little too much and wiped out my 4 cleaner shrimp, 6 peppermint and a full grown coral banded within a few days of being out in my tank so unfortunately it was a short lived time in my care for the beta.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

There are a lot of fish that will wipe out your shrimp and worm populations. Wrasse are experts at it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com