All tangs that can live in a 75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm curious, that's all. I'm looking for a 75 deal on Craigslist for SW. I want two tangs if possible but ones that can live there full life happy an healthy in a 75. Please don't go tang police, I'm not talking about yellow or blue hippos.

Although 2 tangs in a 75 might be pushing it, most Bristletooth Tangs (but not all) as well as Kole Yellow eye are suitable for the 4 ft tank.

Although 2 tangs in a 75 might be pushing it, most Bristletooth Tangs (but not all) as well as Kole Yellow eye are suitable for the 4 ft tank.

+1 to this. The kole (sometimes called yellow eye) and tomini (sometimes called flame fin) are probably your best choices. However, they are from the same genus and I tend to think two, even of different species, will fight relentlessly until one is dead in a 75.

+1 to this. The kole (sometimes called yellow eye) and tomini (sometimes called flame fin) are probably your best choices. However, they are from the same genus and I tend to think two, even of different species, will fight relentlessly until one is dead in a 75.

Alright, I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday haha. I'll look An do research on all species suggested an pick one. Mabye get a coral beauty angel instead. It's going to be a fowlr cause I don't have the money for them haha

Alright, I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday haha. I'll look An do research on all species suggested an pick one. Mabye get a coral beauty angel instead. It's going to be a fowlr cause I don't have the money for them haha

The Kole is the best bet IMO. A coral beauty is also a good choice. Any dwarf angelfish may peck at some corals, or may not. It's just luck. But the beauty is the best choice.

The Kole is the best bet IMO. A coral beauty is also a good choice. Any dwarf angelfish may peck at some corals, or may not. It's just luck. But the beauty is the best choice.

Yep, got to be be careful. Can't afford coral led lights for a 75. Haaha I how would this sound as a stocking list

1x kole yellow eye tang or a white tail bristle tooth
1x coral beauty or a red stripe angel
6x cardinalfish or firefish
1x blue spot jaw fish or a red head Solon fairy wrasse

Would that be max stocking?

Yep, got to be be careful. Can't afford coral led lights for a 75. Haaha I how would this sound as a stocking list

I don't think you're close to being maxed out.

I think it's a fine start. If everything goes well there are other fish or shrimp you could add as your filtration stabilizes for this first group. I wouldn't add everything at once.

I think it's a fine start. If everything goes well there are other fish or shrimp you could add as your filtration stabilizes for this first group. I wouldn't add everything at once.

Yep, big filtration. As much as I can get. Might not do a sump. Lots of live rock an sand. A fulval canister, a aqua clear hob, an two seprate smaller skimmers on each side if the tank. Hmm, I love my inverts haha. So lots of hermits and snails and starfish.

How many cleaner shrimp could I have, if possible, I would like a blood red and a skunk shrimp. Also, could u had a flasher wrasse, or would that cause trouble with the other wrasse?

I have a beautiful Chevron tang in my 75 gal. Also part of the bristle tooth family. They can be expensive but I have connections. Lol. I also have other fish but my fav is my marine beta. If you're doing a FOWLR this would be a great addition. I have her in my reef and she's very well behaved with corals, not so much with my hermits and snails. Also IMO get your shrimp before adding the fish that are reef safe with caution. This normally means they have a tendency to eat shrimp, crabs, snails.... I've had my skunk cleaner for a year and added the larger fish after. No one bothers him, not even my blue throat trigger.

Also any ideas in equipment, stocking, ect. Feel free to post

If you are going with a jaw fish you will need to make some accomodations for him. Check out this article I read earlier today

Let's Jaw About Jawfish by Henry C. Schultz III - Reefkeeping.com

Have you looked at a flasher wrasse such as a McCosker or Carpenter?

I have a beautiful Chevron tang in my 75 gal. Also part of the bristle tooth family. They can be expensive but I have connections. Lol. I also have other fish but my fav is my marine beta. If you're doing a FOWLR this would be a great addition. I have her in my reef and she's very well behaved with corals, not so much with my hermits and snails. Also IMO get your shrimp before adding the fish that are reef safe with caution. This normally means they have a tendency to eat shrimp, crabs, snails.... I've had my skunk cleaner for a year and added the larger fish after. No one bothers him, not even my blue throat trigger.

If i'm not mistaken the chevrons are some of the bigger tangs in that family and need a bigger tank than their smaller counterparts.

Blue zoo days 75gal. But (as everyone says, lol) I am upgrading when I move. And if he becomes cramped ill rehome him. He's super happy now. But to the OP I agree you should look at the flasher wrasses. They can be quite the eye catcher!

Blue zoo days 75gal. But (as everyone says, lol) I am upgrading when I move. And if he becomes cramped ill rehome him. He's super happy now. But to the OP I agree you should look at the flasher wrasses. They can be quite the eye catcher!

I avoid looking at blue zoo for fish care. If you look around they also say that a powder blue tang, hippo tang, and yellow tang are all acceptable in a 75g as well.

I avoid looking at blue zoo for fish care. If you look around they also say that a powder blue tang, hippo tang, and yellow tang are all acceptable in a 75g as well.

Hmm, I will then. I tend to realy on live aquria mostly. They have great stocking options. Will a flasher an a red head gel along fine? Also any recommendations on a canister filter?

I love the look of marine Betta's, but heard they can be picky to feed. Hmm, to the Internet with more research haha

I love the look of marine Betta's, but heard they can be picky to feed. Hmm, to the Internet with more research haha

Mine ate right away but maybe I just got lucky. He eats mysis, brine, krill and pellets. Same for my moorish idol.

My marine beta ate at the store (I made sure he ate frozen) and he/she even eats clams and other frozen foods and pellets. But that's why I was hesitant to get one but he's great and soooo beautiful.

My marine beta ate at the store (I made sure he ate frozen) and he/she even eats clams and other frozen foods and pellets. But that's why I was hesitant to get one but he's great and soooo beautiful.

Mine decided to eat a little too much and wiped out my 4 cleaner shrimp, 6 peppermint and a full grown coral banded within a few days of being out in my tank so unfortunately it was a short lived time in my care for the beta.

Back
Top Bottom