alternative to sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozzydan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi all
I'm setting up a standard 5ft tank, fish only and am looking for an alternative to a sump filter. I have had a 4ft tank (rock, fish, corals) in the past and don't want to go back to that water gurgling down a drain sound. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
dan

You don't need a sump. A hang on fuge is the only other thing I can think of...

Cannisters are bad, unless you clean them real often. A 'fuge is a sump with life in it. Sandbed, macro algae, rock, and lots of bugs. Durso standpipes cut down on the gurgling sound, or so I'm told.

thanks indy
but that sounds like i'm getting back to a sump again, what i am looking for is an alternative. the hob fuge sounded ok. does anyone know about these. also i have seen a few mentions of biowheels any advice on these? my tank is somewhere around 110 gallons
thanks
dan

:multi::pepsi: WELCOME TO AA.COM :pepsi::multi:
:pepsi:(y) The choice of a Newbie (y) :pepsi:
:smilecolros: Generation :smilecolros:

The main purpose of a sump is to add water volume, hide equipment, and allow for water addition/changes to be done outside of the main tank to reduce stress on the animals in the tank.

I will defer filtration for a FO SW tank to someone else, since my only experience/research has been with a sump. But if you went with a HOB type filter, you would need more than one on a 110.

For a fish only tank, a HOB filter or canister should be fine. Nitrates will be an issue in the long run but as long as you change your filters and have a clean bottom, it should be fine.

I ran a whisper and a Emperor 280 on the back of a 38 gal for 6+ years. I had a CC substrate that was 7+ years old and an under gravel filter. My fish were still kicking when I tore the tank down last year. I had a clown and a dog puffer that lived together for most of the time the tank was up. The clown is now in my reef tank.

I think HOB filters and canisters might be old school but they can work. I have a 29 gal using the emperor 280 right now. Just get something that will provide enough filtration.

just my .02

thanks ellisz
i'll give it a go, i guess trial an error can get expensive, but it is a good way to learn.
thanks
dan

As mentioned above, a fuge would help too. I would not consider it trial and error though. HOB filters used to be all we had.

Down side to the HOB filter is when the water evaporates, you get a running water sound.... listening to one right now :)

Good luck

I've got the constant flushing sound, haven't built the durso yet. A hob 'fuge won't do much of anything filtration wise, especially for a tank that size. They're more for just having a place for bugs to live. Bio-wheels will have the same 'trate issues as any mechanical filtration. Again, not bad but you have to do the maintenance. Go with a dsb with live rock and you won't need any exterior filtration.

Back
Top Bottom