alternative water sterilization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. I am still new to the hobby, although i have been going strong for close to three years. But i was wondering if there were any other methods of "sterilizing" water. I have been using R.O. water since the start but the cost is getting to be too much at 1:8. I have heard the term "cold sterilization" or "cold Filtration" but i dont know much about them nor can i find anything. perhaps i am not looking hard enough, so now i turn to you in hopes of finding a better way. Thank you in advance for your time and help.
-JoshD-

Look into Kati/Ani Deionization units. They have a higher upfront cost, but there is no waste water and the resins can be recharged.

Regarding "cold sterilization", I'm guessing you're referring to Poly Bio Marine's "Kold Ster-il" unit. Info here...Poly-Bio-Marine

The literature on it, as far as I can tell, is true... but it's not "pure" water by any means. I started my tank using just a Kold Ster-il unit, but after a few months I realized that there was still "stuff" sneaking through the filters that I just didn't know what it was. I ended up buying a dual cannister DI system to put inline after the Kold Steril unit. This gives me pure water, no waste, and I can flow water through it in the 60 gallons/hour range.

BUT... if you think the waste water from an RO system is expensive, then this type of system isn't for you. I replace a cannister of DI resin every couple months. At $10+ a shot, it's not cheap.

RO/DI is the cheapest way to get pure water there is. Anything else will either be more expensive, or not be as pure.

Is there a way you could continue to use the waste water like have it go in your washing machine or save it in jugs for watering flowers or grass. Just some suggestions that I use it for.

60 gallons per hour or day?

Per hour.

It's just a prefiltered DI system. Depending on the initial TDS, you can push water through them pretty quick.

JoshD - you mentioned that the cost of RO is high due to the waste water. As melosu58 mentioned, there's options to use that waste water, but even if you put that water down the drain, it's still not that expensive. Assume an average cost of $0.002/gallon (quickie internet search, just for water - no sewer, etc), and lets say you use 100 gallons of RO water per month. If you're really at a 1:8 rate, then you're wasting 700 gallons of that water. And at 0.002$/gallon, that 700 gallons amounts to $1.40 per month wasted - for 100 gallons of pure water for the tank. Not sure of your tank size, but from a $$ standpoint, water is really cheap. (Just talking about the monetary aspect... not the whole "waste" aspect. Harder to put a dollar value on that.)

Also... I'm not an expert, but 1:8 waste ratio seems pretty high. Have you looked into boosting your incoming pressure if it's low? Or replacing the RO membrane?

Is there a way you could continue to use the waste water like have it go in your washing machine or save it in jugs for watering flowers or grass. Just some suggestions that I use it for.

All very good ideas. I still have to figure out a way to use my waste water too... don't have jugs big enough. I was thinking could be useful in the summer for watering plants, the excess nutrients in tap water is supposed to be beneficial for plants.

In the summer, with my FW aquarium I used to use the water I removed from a water change for watering the plants outside, best free & natural fertalizer I could find.

Thanks for the input. as far as the money aspect, its not too bad. What i am not liking is the amount that i am wasting, perhaps i am just being a sissy about wasting water.... The 1:8 ratio is from an older RO filter, with new media, that i am looking at upgrading or find another filtration method. The Cold sterilization that i have heard of is supposed to be 0% waste and that is what sparked my curiosity. But by what i have read here and elsewhere it seems that RO is the way to go. If you guys have any other suggestions i am all ears.

Back
Top Bottom