alveopora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefGuru

Aquarium Advice Activist
can anybdoy tell me much about alveopora? A lot of the older books I have been reading say it is impossible to keep, and a lot of other things I have read say that they were often confused for gontipora. What can y'all tell me about alveopora?

Andrej

Well the only thing I know are they are easier to keep then goniopora, but they are still very difficult to keep. I hesitate to say some other things that I THINK I know about them just in case I have forgotten. Just hold a sec and you will get some more info.

I do not know about the alveopora but I will say that a lot of the older books do not take into account all the newer technology in the aquarium industry. Such as newer lighting system, skimmers, filtration upgrades. There are many corals, inverts and clams that could not be kept for long ten or 20 years ago that are just fine now. Try checking for a newer book and I'm sure someone else on here can also give their 2 cents.

I got this quote form the book "Aquarium Corals" by Eric Borneman...
"Alvepora are considered similar in their care requirementsand as difficult to maintain as Gonopora, and they are not likely to survive in most home aquariums." It's husbandry is still a mystery but low current and medium light best minic their natural location. It seems they also prefer a slightly higher nutrient level in the water. Most of these corals just begin to slowly nacros from the bottm up. Sorry for the bad new. Good luck with the coral...Lando

feed it feed it feed it feed it feed it feed it

feed it feed it feed it feed it feed it feed it

Are you speaking from experience? Have you kept one? I was looking at one of these too. Bummer.

I was looking at one of these too
I hope you will reconsider. The requirements of these awesome corals are still very much a mystery. Until we figure them out, they should stay in the ocean. trust me, it is no fun to buy a big beautiful coral and have to watch it slowly die for unknown reasons.

Sorry, just a sales pitch. While it may be a bit easier to maintain then the gonopora, it is certainly not for the beginer.

Ya I had a one that lasted for a few months......... :(

PS. This was before I knew all about them and there difficulty to keep alive.

Back
Top Bottom