Alveopora help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich42082

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My alveopora coral did not fully open today. Has anyone had the same problem with this type of coral? PH is at 8.0 everything else is at 0. It has been fully open since I bought it over 6 weeks ago.

image-1172538155.jpg

Don't freak out till it hasn't opened for a few days

These guys can be slow to acclimate and even then they might need to be moved to another position if they don't open in a few more days. The flow and lighting is so different between tanks, you just have to experiment to find a sweet spot for them.

Well it's day number two that they have not fully opened. It had always been open since I bought it but now all of a sudden it does not fully open. I guess I'll give it a couple more days and move it to a new location. This is what it use to look like.

image-3794580836.jpg

image-549413290.jpg

image-4198396222.jpg

Changed color to a neon green but still does not fully open how it use to?

I'd be looking towards all that gha being something to do with it, levels must be out of whack to have so much growing like a lawn.

That's an older picture before I installed my phosban reactor. No more GHA and levels are good.

Nitrite is at 0
Nitrate is at 0
PH is at 8.2
Amonia is at 0
Calcium is at 420

They are known to do poorly in captivity, just like the relative goniopora. Mine will sulk from day to day but then come out nicely.

Great it's one of my favorite corals by far. Has anyone had any luck with this coral?

I've had mine in for about 4 months and it's grown so maybe I'll get lucky but I'm naturally pessimistic so I always expect the worst.

How long do you keep your lights on and what type of lights do you have?

Here are a couple of updated photos.

image-1667294919.jpg

image-3815033644.jpg

8 hours daily, they are in 29G with 156w T5 2x 14000k 2x actinics.

Here's mine

img_1886651_0_8a172c2b053b610191231e7a295ec536.jpg

I have not found them easy to keep. I had heard that flowerpots for example like more turbid water and that our reefs may actually be too nutrient poor for their tastes.

I've looked countless times and the centre just appears to be a solid white mass, not like any other LPS I've seen.

It looks like you're doing something right. That is how Mine was looking for the first month or so. Do you have it placed low in your tank or high?

About mid level. It's composed of 4 branches, I managed to secure the very base where it's just 1 branch between my rock work, so it sort of protrudes rather than sits on the rock.

Back
Top Bottom