Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2014, 02:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aly's 40G Reef Build

Ok so I currently have a 20G Nano FOWLR. I was hoping my next upgrade would be to a 55G DT with a 20G sump but I have the upgrade itch and I have the tanks anyway soooo.....

My plan is to go with a 30G DT and a 10G sump and eventually move my 20G contents over.

This is the profile of my 20G currently:
1x Hydor Koralia 240 GPH
1x Hydor Koralia 425 GPH
1x Aqueon Heater (Forget Wattage)
8.5 lb Live Rock
20 lb CaribSea Live Sand
20 lb Dry Reef Saver Rock (not in tank - just ordered, have to cycle still)

And this is what I was thinking for the 30G with 10G sump/refugium:

1x Hydor Koralia 425 GPH
1x Hydor Koralia 600 GPH
1x ViaAqua Titanium 200W Heater
28.5 lb Live Rock
20 lb CaribSea Live Sand

However, this is where I am stuck and could use some advice.

I am not looking at investing a lot of money into a skimmer right now so I was hoping to get some tips on a cheap but good one that can go into my sump.

I'll post a diagram shortly of what I'm thinking of - but I could really use some help tweaking the design.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxandria View Post
Ok so I currently have a 20G Nano FOWLR. I was hoping my next upgrade would be to a 55G DT with a 20G sump but I have the upgrade itch and I have the tanks anyway soooo.....

My plan is to go with a 30G DT and a 10G sump and eventually move my 20G contents over.

This is the profile of my 20G currently:
1x Hydor Koralia 240 GPH
1x Hydor Koralia 425 GPH
1x Aqueon Heater (Forget Wattage)
8.5 lb Live Rock
20 lb CaribSea Live Sand
20 lb Dry Reef Saver Rock (not in tank - just ordered, have to cycle still)

And this is what I was thinking for the 30G with 10G sump/refugium:

1x Hydor Koralia 425 GPH
1x Hydor Koralia 600 GPH
1x ViaAqua Titanium 200W Heater
28.5 lb Live Rock
20 lb CaribSea Live Sand

However, this is where I am stuck and could use some advice.

I am not looking at investing a lot of money into a skimmer right now so I was hoping to get some tips on a cheap but good one that can go into my sump.

I'll post a diagram shortly of what I'm thinking of - but I could really use some help tweaking the design.

Honestly with that size system you can get away with out a skimmer and just save up for one that will work for your eventual bigger upgrade. Buy quality equipment once and it's always cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 12-02-2014, 03:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aly's 40G Reef Build

So should I stick with just a Refugium?

What if I went with something like this, would it work?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417505516.749954.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	257167

Edit: Ps. Sorry for the awful drawing haha.

I wanted to incorporate mechanical filtration with the sponge, I would like chemical too but I don't know where I would put that unless I put it under the sponge. Thoughts?

Really need advice here - first time sump/Refugium!
Old 12-10-2014, 02:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so the stand is built and a 700GPH overflow is at the post office to pick up tomorrow. Next steps are drilling the tank and figuring out the plumbing and what size water pump I need lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418193428.645901.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	257978

And the sump fits with room to spare.

Getting excited about this - can't wait to upgrade from my 20G.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
A mag 5 should be fine. I also agree that you should skip the skimmer. A water change to remove organics is a snap in a tank like that. I like the sump design, though I would just use a filter sock in the first compartment and skip the floss and the rock rubble. Put the rubble under the algae in chamber 2. Also, the bubble trap should be before the return pump. It doesn't matter if bubbles reach the refugium.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aly's 40G Reef Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
A mag 5 should be fine. I also agree that you should skip the skimmer. A water change to remove organics is a snap in a tank like that. I like the sump design, though I would just use a filter sock in the first compartment and skip the floss and the rock rubble. Put the rubble under the algae in chamber 2. Also, the bubble trap should be before the return pump. It doesn't matter if bubbles reach the refugium.

I'll go with the mag5 then. And everything else you said hah. Thinking filter sock, refugium, bubble trap and then return.

So I shouldn't put in any other media like a sponge or carbon? I'm coming over from FW and new to sumps so I'm really just learning. :p

Another question - do I need a sand bed in the refugium?
Old 12-10-2014, 05:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Will a return pump of 500GPH be enough? My overflow is 700GPH and the 1" PVC says 600GPH. Will my plumbing and elbows and valves and baffles and stuff reduce it to 500GPH?

The part that confuses me the most is how to get a constant GPH going in and coming out. Should I use some type of PVC valve (can't remember name) on my overflow pipes and return in case the GPH going in isn't consistent with the GPH going out?

Sorry if that was wildly confusing.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

It should be fine. If you want to go up to a mag 7 you can, but I don't think it's necessary. You aren't using it for flow...just to return water to the dt. If you are drilling the tank, gravity is what sends the water down. It will drain only as fast as you are sending water back up, so you can use any gph UP TO 600-700 gph (are you sure 1" pvc only drains 600 gph?).
Just get a few filter socks when you buy them because you will want to change them out every so often and then wash them together. It's nice to not have to tend to a single sock.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
It should be fine. If you want to go up to a mag 7 you can, but I don't think it's necessary. You aren't using it for flow...just to return water to the dt. If you are drilling the tank, gravity is what sends the water down. It will drain only as fast as you are sending water back up, so you can use any gph UP TO 600-700 gph (are you sure 1" pvc only drains 600 gph?).
Just get a few filter socks when you buy them because you will want to change them out every so often and then wash them together. It's nice to not have to tend to a single sock.

Oh yeah that makes sense. Duh! Lol mind is a bit slow at 4:30 AM. Awesome thanks, appreciate the help. Will post pictures after I get the plumbing set up!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quiet One pumps are also good. I happen to like them better than the mag drives. The 3000 should be plenty if you go that route.

Tags
build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Sump | Regal Tang »