Aly's 40G Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I currently have a 20G Nano FOWLR. I was hoping my next upgrade would be to a 55G DT with a 20G sump but I have the upgrade itch and I have the tanks anyway soooo..... :)

My plan is to go with a 30G DT and a 10G sump and eventually move my 20G contents over.

This is the profile of my 20G currently:
1x Hydor Koralia 240 GPH
1x Hydor Koralia 425 GPH
1x Aqueon Heater (Forget Wattage)
8.5 lb Live Rock
20 lb CaribSea Live Sand
20 lb Dry Reef Saver Rock (not in tank - just ordered, have to cycle still)

And this is what I was thinking for the 30G with 10G sump/refugium:

1x Hydor Koralia 425 GPH
1x Hydor Koralia 600 GPH
1x ViaAqua Titanium 200W Heater
28.5 lb Live Rock
20 lb CaribSea Live Sand

However, this is where I am stuck and could use some advice. :)

I am not looking at investing a lot of money into a skimmer right now so I was hoping to get some tips on a cheap but good one that can go into my sump.

I'll post a diagram shortly of what I'm thinking of - but I could really use some help tweaking the design. :)

Ok so I currently have a 20G Nano FOWLR. I was hoping my next upgrade would be to a 55G DT with a 20G sump but I have the upgrade itch and I have the tanks anyway soooo..... :)

My plan is to go with a 30G DT and a 10G sump and eventually move my 20G contents over.

This is the profile of my 20G currently:
1x Hydor Koralia 240 GPH
1x Hydor Koralia 425 GPH
1x Aqueon Heater (Forget Wattage)
8.5 lb Live Rock
20 lb CaribSea Live Sand
20 lb Dry Reef Saver Rock (not in tank - just ordered, have to cycle still)

And this is what I was thinking for the 30G with 10G sump/refugium:

1x Hydor Koralia 425 GPH
1x Hydor Koralia 600 GPH
1x ViaAqua Titanium 200W Heater
28.5 lb Live Rock
20 lb CaribSea Live Sand

However, this is where I am stuck and could use some advice. :)

I am not looking at investing a lot of money into a skimmer right now so I was hoping to get some tips on a cheap but good one that can go into my sump.

I'll post a diagram shortly of what I'm thinking of - but I could really use some help tweaking the design. :)

Honestly with that size system you can get away with out a skimmer and just save up for one that will work for your eventual bigger upgrade. Buy quality equipment once and it's always cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So should I stick with just a Refugium?

What if I went with something like this, would it work?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417505516.749954.jpg

Edit: Ps. Sorry for the awful drawing haha.

I wanted to incorporate mechanical filtration with the sponge, I would like chemical too but I don't know where I would put that unless I put it under the sponge. Thoughts?

Really need advice here - first time sump/Refugium!

Ok so the stand is built and a 700GPH overflow is at the post office to pick up tomorrow. Next steps are drilling the tank and figuring out the plumbing and what size water pump I need lol.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418193428.645901.jpg

And the sump fits with room to spare.

Getting excited about this - can't wait to upgrade from my 20G.

A mag 5 should be fine. I also agree that you should skip the skimmer. A water change to remove organics is a snap in a tank like that. I like the sump design, though I would just use a filter sock in the first compartment and skip the floss and the rock rubble. Put the rubble under the algae in chamber 2. Also, the bubble trap should be before the return pump. It doesn't matter if bubbles reach the refugium.

A mag 5 should be fine. I also agree that you should skip the skimmer. A water change to remove organics is a snap in a tank like that. I like the sump design, though I would just use a filter sock in the first compartment and skip the floss and the rock rubble. Put the rubble under the algae in chamber 2. Also, the bubble trap should be before the return pump. It doesn't matter if bubbles reach the refugium.

I'll go with the mag5 then. And everything else you said hah. Thinking filter sock, refugium, bubble trap and then return.

So I shouldn't put in any other media like a sponge or carbon? I'm coming over from FW and new to sumps so I'm really just learning. :p

Another question - do I need a sand bed in the refugium?

Will a return pump of 500GPH be enough? My overflow is 700GPH and the 1" PVC says 600GPH. Will my plumbing and elbows and valves and baffles and stuff reduce it to 500GPH?

The part that confuses me the most is how to get a constant GPH going in and coming out. Should I use some type of PVC valve (can't remember name) on my overflow pipes and return in case the GPH going in isn't consistent with the GPH going out?

Sorry if that was wildly confusing.

It should be fine. If you want to go up to a mag 7 you can, but I don't think it's necessary. You aren't using it for flow...just to return water to the dt. If you are drilling the tank, gravity is what sends the water down. It will drain only as fast as you are sending water back up, so you can use any gph UP TO 600-700 gph (are you sure 1" pvc only drains 600 gph?).
Just get a few filter socks when you buy them because you will want to change them out every so often and then wash them together. It's nice to not have to tend to a single sock.

It should be fine. If you want to go up to a mag 7 you can, but I don't think it's necessary. You aren't using it for flow...just to return water to the dt. If you are drilling the tank, gravity is what sends the water down. It will drain only as fast as you are sending water back up, so you can use any gph UP TO 600-700 gph (are you sure 1" pvc only drains 600 gph?).
Just get a few filter socks when you buy them because you will want to change them out every so often and then wash them together. It's nice to not have to tend to a single sock.

Oh yeah that makes sense. Duh! Lol mind is a bit slow at 4:30 AM. Awesome thanks, appreciate the help. Will post pictures after I get the plumbing set up!

Quiet One pumps are also good. I happen to like them better than the mag drives. The 3000 should be plenty if you go that route.

If it is I'm definitely ordering it tomorrow. Can't beat that price.

If I have a sump is there any point in running a hob or canister as well?

Not really. Occasionally if you had something happen to the tank and you wanted to run some extra carbon it would be ok, but those filters would need regular maintenance or they will eventually produce nitrates. A filter sock is plenty.

My overflow and pump came today! Christmas party tomorrow but will be working on the plumbing this weekend!

Just not sure if it would be okay to test it with tap water first to make sure everything is okay? I'm still buying distilled water. An RODI is next on my list.

I am enjoying watching you do this build. I only have a small 20g and want to upgrade since I have caught the bug! Keep us updated please I am also taking tips.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I had that bug too! Started with one small Betta tank and turned into nine freshwater tanks and one saltwater tank. Not including the Betta tanks I still have running lol! (I'm already dreaming and planning my next upgrade after this one in a year or two lol)

I haven't progressed in this build unfortunately. It's still sitting where I left it in my last picture. I am hoping to perhaps drill the tank and get the overflow box siliconed in but time is running short - my boyfriend and I leave for Florida on Saturday for a week.

So I hope to have the plumbing maybe dry fitted before we leave but definitely functional within the week we return!

Glad to know someone is following along :)

Wish I could say I've made progress but I've been so busy! Between getting registered for next term and getting ready to go on holidays tomorrow I haven't been able to do much other than my water changes on my freshwater tanks and one saltwater. I'm back on the 27th though and you can be sure I'll be working on it on then!!

I have so many ideas floating in my head. Trying to decide how to wrap the stand and what kind of doors I'm going to put on. Thinking about building a canopy for the LED so it lights up the tank rather than the entire room.

I promise when I do get some work done on it I'll keep you updated though. :)

Back
Top Bottom