Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
am i at my limit?

well i desided to keep the 55g and setup the 180g so now i'll have 2 tanks heh, but i was wondering now that i have 2 percula clowns medium size, 1 yellow tang(2-3 inches) and 1 squareback anthia(1-2') am i at the recommended fish level for a 55g. also whats some nice shrimp i can put in there and how many shrimp would be recommended for a 55g

Old 04-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

A few cleaner shrimp would be nice!

Old 04-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Re: am i at my limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackteck
am i at the recommended fish level for a 55g. also what’s some nice shrimp i can put in there and how many shrimp would be recommended for a 55g
I assume your anthia is 1-2” and not 1-2 feet Other then that I’d say your doing fine

Stock is determined by a ton of factors but tank size is the most limiting. The “general rule is 1” of fish per 5 gal but following that rule explicitly seems quite limiting to most aquarist. I feel new aquarist should stick to that rule closely and should only slightly exceed it once enough experience is gained.

Of course the other determining factors for stocking are the quality of filtration, pwc schedule, and the type of fish you get.

If you have a skimmer, 1.5+ lbs of lr per gal, and are performing 10+% pwc each week those things allow you to slightly exceed the “rule”.

By buying thinner longer fish like clowns, damsels, wrasse, gobies, ect… and not a fatter or messy eater also helps extend that rule slightly ie: not a puffer, trigger, lion, ect…

The use of a sump to extend total water volume also helps with keeping your nh3/no2/no3 in check.

Total length/height of the tank also has to be considered ie: a 55 gal tank gives you roughly 11”-14” of adult fish length but that doesn’t mean a Dog Face Puffer or Sailfin Tang which reach about that size should be attempted.

Main thing to take into consideration is that SW doesn’t exchange oxygen as well as FW does and greatly overstocking a tank will lead to suffocation if power is out longer then 4 hours. A generator or battery back up is highly recommended if slightly overstocking since all the filtration in the world is completely useless without power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackteck
what’s some nice shrimp i can put in there and how many shrimp would be recommended for a 55g
For shrimp I really love the personality of my Coral Banded Shrimp but if you do get a CBS only get one! peppermints/cleaners while somewhat more boring are good scavengers and mine all play nice.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Look into a 6 line wrasse and the long nose hawkfish. If you get a few adult cleaner shrimp he will leave them alone.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks for advice guys, i have about 90 lbs of lr in my 55g so i know th lr filtration isnt a problem, i may entertain getting a cbs this weekend
Old 04-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Could anyone give examples of their stocking list for a 55-60gal. I am thinking about upgrading from my 37 to a 60 and and I would like to see what others are doing as well.

My 37g levels are
1 Coral Beauty, 1 Damsel, 1 dottyback
1 Green Open brain Coral; 1 red open brain coral; 1 colt
1 cleaner shrimp, 1 black brittle star, various hermets and snails.

Thanks
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hackteck

I didn't mean to steal this thread....just had similar questions and I thought it would help if i added instead of started a new thread
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

heh i dont mind

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com