Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2005, 08:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Am I crazy thinking about a salt water lagunn in my backyard

My backyard is is layed out (but not built yet) for approximately a 2500 Gallon Koi pond and I was thinking instead to build a salt water pond. It sounds much cooler to me having some leopard sharks putting around instead of some dormant Koi. The area is in direct sunlight. Am I crazy? I hear salt water is much more work then fresh water. I plan on spending some money on the project so I can design the appropriate pump systems as needed. Anybody know anybody who has something like that and was it a nightmare?

Old 07-18-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
unless you are independantly wealthy, it is not a doable idea. The maintenance costs (not to mention the work) would be phenomenal. The set up would be the cheapest part of the whole enterprise.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stick with freshwater. You would have to cover it to keep the SG from going crazy when it rains. Then salt pumps etc. Going to seaworld twice a week would be easier and cheaper.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the input,

Koi pond construction is estimated to be in the 25,000 range for concrete construction. Once designed and built what kinda maintence could I expect? I was hoping it was one of those things were if I built it right it with the right filters, skimmers ect it wouldnt become a nightmare. What kinda maintence and work would it require?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the feedback. I guess its off to seaworld.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I live in Florida and know a couple of people who have saltwater ponds. The saltwater comes from comes from the groundwater. I think they have to go deeper for the saltwater, but I will make sure to ask. I don't know if you can do it in California, but because Florida is low-lying and surrounded by saltwater, it can be pumped up using an artisan well (keep in mind I know nothing of ponds). One of my dad's friends has a saltwater pond thats about 100 feet by 50 feet and about 15 feet deep, about 560,000 gallons. He keeps native fish in there that can tolerate brackishwater (in case it rains) and its really amazing to see, especially when they get fed. Since he works as a charter captain and always has leftover fish, he feeds the scraps to the fish.

From what I saw, in his pond, he has a couple of tarpon, a cobia (thats about 35lbs), some jacks, snook, black drums, redfish, grouper, and is thinking about adding some bull sharks. All of the fish in the pond were caught by him and he transported them using a huge container. He also adds live bait to the pond in case he goes away. Even though they are native Florida fish, they act just like aquarium fish and beg for food.

So a saltwater pond can be done without using bags of salt, you just have to live in the right place .
Old 07-18-2005, 09:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

fwiw,

I went to cancun this year for vacation and they had a man made lagoon next to the pool large enought to swim and snorkel in. I swam in the whole thing and did not see any type of filtration besides the rockwork and sand. they had set up some pump to send in fresh sw from the beach and an overflow to return back to the beach. pretty cool fish in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00628.jpg (15.7 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg dsc00609.jpg (21.2 KB, 480 views)
Old 07-18-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
Legmaker

saltwater pond

One of my lfs has recently started and is trying to market a saltwater pond.. He has a fairly large one up and going. He has a 50/50 mesh shade over it to reduce the florida heat. He said the temp wasn't a problem (but he is trying to sell the concept). He has a multitude of fish, corals, snails and clams in it now. To me it seems like a waste if you plan to use the smaller fish (You can't see them as well as in a tank). Rain would be the other issue. email me if you want a contact on more info.
ecro32@aol.com,
Ed
Old 07-18-2005, 10:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

As hard as it is to keep everything in check in a tank that is in a controlled enviroment I think you are asking for trouble putting it in the outdoors were you lose control of the surroundings. If you have access to a unlimited supply of saltwater it is possible even with rain etc as you would constantly have fresh salt water coming in and going out but even then your source would have to be off the coast a ways to avoid fresh drain water and pollutants.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The guy I know has had no problem with his pond. The only fish he had die was one of his cobia, but that is because it was picked on by a comorant. He has an artisan well that brings up saltwater instead of freshwater. I'm not sure of his parameters (keep in mind his pond holds 560,000 gal of water), but his fish are thriving. This may contribute in part that he uses native fish he caught, which would be more tolerant. I'm guessing you could only do this on coastal states. He lives only 6 miles from the beach. If you live close to saltwater then I'm sure you could easily create a saltwater pond with the money only contributed to the pond and artisan well. Once we move we will also make a saltwater pond.

Tags
salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com